Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be most appreciated, if someone can help me in removing a broken coupling from my Bachmann 158 23M Power car - set consists of 500-100 Power and trailer bogies. Tips on reassembling the coupling to the power bogy, will too be appreciated, providing that a new coupling can be obtained from Bachmann service section.
Parts according to Bachmann service sheet are 500-127 and 500-128.
The coupling snapped into several parts while the DMU was traversing over the layout.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After further examining the Bachmann 158 two car DMU coach set in question, the trailer section coach coupling too, apparently has become detached - making it a nightmare and unable to refit, as it certainly appears to be severed from the bogy plastic body.
Most of today's RTR railway model plastic bodies and accessories fitted to them, have become so fragile to handling, even to the most careful modellers - question is modern RTR only fit to be designated to a fancy wooden veneered cabinet?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any forum member has a Bachmann c158 DMU? Help would be most appreciated in refitting the detached couplings - replacements - or alternative method to couple up the two coaches together.

·
Registered
487 Posts
drummond - thank you for interest shown, most appreciated.
The actual couplings when attached are different as to the make-up couplings shown in the Bachmann printed service sheet. Probably I am missing something while relating the service sheet to the actual c158 DMU. Certainly unable to press the coupling into the part that is part of the body of the plastic bogy. No details or instructions as to assembly of couplings is given
The coupling assemblies to me are very crudely designed and certainly will not withstand any slight pressure without falling apart.
Replacements coupling at £1 and pockets at £1 per 3 can be obtained direct from Bachmann Europe PLC and include a SAE.

·
Registered
35 Posts
DoubleOO,

I have just been reading an old edition of Model Rail (No 38 Dec 2001 page 17 ) and a review of the Dapol Pendolino. In it, it mentions the early Bachmann "self destructing 158" mentioning that it was substantially modified before reissue. Do you think that you may have an earlier version?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Not having much success with this 158 are you double00?
All the ones i've seen in shops have a HO type coupling but having just looked at an early one on ebay(borrowed the photo and zoomed right in) they do appear different. Migh it be time to cut your losses or look out for a full late type chassis?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
drummond - you could certainly be correct with the "self destruct 158". The couplings in question, have simply broken into several pieces. Replacement couplings have been ordered from Bachmann Europe PLC, however the fitting of the couplings still remains a mystery unless someone can kindly enlighten me to the correct procedure. Thank you again, for searching past Model Rail issues for a solution.

spongebob - the c158 has been a disaster from day one of purchase - it requires extreme care in handling and at purchase was the most noisy model in my collection.
Your suggestion of obtaining two chassis, maybe the answer or perhaps consider obtaining the replacement bogies. (not from Bachmann as they don't hold any stock of bogy replacements).
I must thank you too, for taking the time in searching the eBay for a possible answer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The early 158s were a nightmare. Bachmann have previously supplied me with replacement bogies which do make a lot of difference. If they're not willing to supply you with bogies then you could cut off the coupling mounts and fit Kadee number 5 couplings to the end of the chassis. This will be fine so long as you don't have curves tighter than 2nd radius, and double-side tape them to the chassis to check the fit before gluing.

Or you could fit Roco or Gutzold close coupling units if you wanted close coupling.

Hope this helps

JP

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am pleased to hear of one modeller, able to obtain new bogies from Bachmann c158. I have tried several times to obtain replacement part for the c158 form Bachmann direct, replies have indicated that spare bogies where not available to the UK market, as all parts where scheduled for assembly line in China.
In contact with another modeller on another Forum, was advised that a bogy new type retaining plate is obtainable from Bachmann at £10 for fitting to two bogies.
Bachmann now informs me that two types exists - push together of European couplings - perhaps a solution is on the horizon, when I figure out correct type fitted on my c158.
I bought the c158 last year on eBay - advertised as brand new and still boxed. What was failed to be mentioned how many years it had been stored away. A lesson has been learned, new doesn't mean it is the most current version.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I have recently enjoyed fun and games with a Bachmann 170/3 Turbostar. The body mounts are plastic columns from the roof into which the chassis is screwed. Given that only a couple of mill. or less of screw holds the heavy chassis in place it is not surprising that this has stripped broken loose. My solution was to use a much longer self-tapping screw into a much greater length of the mount - my objection is that it was needed in the first place! Mmmmm.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also damaged a 158 coupling but my damage was to the dummy buckeye coupling. This coupling is a push fit into the body.

The power coupling 500-127/128, the 127 part is the NEM socket and is removed by carefully prising it out of the vee socket on the bogie. The coupling 128 is a push fit into the NEM socket. Best coupling Bachmann have done, the Kadee is a straight replacement.

Hope this is useful

1 - 12 of 12 Posts