Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I contemplate in purchasing the new Bachmann selection 170-5 3 Car DMU Scot Rail First Group livery.
Any member of this Forum obtained this new model manufactured by Bachmann, and have also issued this model in several other railway liveries?
The 158 model I purchased several months ago, suffers from a motor high torque growl type noise. Is the 170-5, suffer from a similar noise as the 158 or is it found
to traverse silently over the track?
Finally, are the units materials robust to handling?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have just purchased the Central Trains version for my son. My first impression on taking it out of the box, apart from it's good looks, were that the wheels on both driving ends do not spin freely because of the lighting pick-ups on each axle. This will obviously mean that the motor is working harder to move the whole unit. Also, one of the end cars squeaks occassionally - very prototypical! But I guess I need to find the fault and lubricate it.

Initially, it only started quite suddenly with a decent amount of power, but this has improved after a couple of hours running. I am quite sure that, once chipped, slow speed control will be just fine.

It does make a noise, but this seems almost realistic. A different noise to my Class 37, which again seems to make a noise closer to the prototype. Have Bachmann developed the technique of tuning their motors to give an appropriate sound?!

Despite my fears about the lack of free running of the driving trailer wheels, the model runs superbly. It is rock solid on all point formations (Peco 100 only at this stage), has a good top speed, although the directional lights are only visible at higher speeds on DC control.

The model certainly runs well and looks good. Will benefit from weathering (my son was torn between the brilliant look of the 2-car weathered version, or the longer 3-car set. The latter won out, on the basis that my soon-to-be purchased airbrush, and hopefully quickly-acquired spraying skills, will create the desired effect!

We're delighted with our model, and hope other users are as well

Graham

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Graham - I refer to the Bachmann c158 2 car DMU and when new emitted an irritating growl type noise and the trailer unit emitted a squeal type noise.
The unit improved after running continuous for an hour in each direction - squeal after adding a minute amount of lubricant oil to the four axles on the trailer unit.
From what you say, it must be a Bachmann fault to be found in their DMUs.
The cost of £80.00 for the Scot Rail First Group is not cheap and to have the same noise factor as found in the c158 at £67.00 is causing me to have a rethink in buying the Turbostar 3 Car DMU Scot Rail First Group.
I contacted Bachmann several months ago relating to the c158 - Bachmann replied by stating to return the c158 for their service department to enable them to check my complaint. Receiving back the c158, no reference to the fault was enclosed and only after two e-mails to Bachmann insisting on a reply - it transpired that no noise what so ever could be heard by any of service personnel.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have had my Bachmann two car DMU for some time now, the unpowered half squeeled from day one and still does. It is caused by the brass pick-ups rubbing on the inside of the wheels. I eased it slightly by using a soft lead pencil on the inside contact surfaces of all the wheels, it works up to a point until the lead/graphite scrubs off, wet lubricant will only make for a poor contact and could also spread to the track. Maybe graphite grease would do the trick.

The squeel is probably due to the sharp leading edge of the pick up contacts having a scraping effect which may be a good thing as it will serve to keep the inside of the wheels clean. In time wear will probably cause the squeel to go away. One solution might be to dismantle the carriage and/or bogies, remove the contact strips and relieve the sharp edges which I believe are the cause. Alternatively you could remove the strips altogether and say goodbye to your lights on the second/third car.

Personally I think that the wheel squeel (poetry now) sounds something like the prototype on curves.

Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts