Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been much speculation as to whether Bachmann will go where Hornby feared to tread and introduce a new NE model. Class O /ROD being a favourite. It escaped my attention until yesterday, but on re reading the September issue of HM I noticed that Bachmann announced that they would be producing an A2 in 2009. I understand that A H Peppercorn will be in LNER green whilst Blue Peter and Batchelors Button will be in BR livery. If this is true then I do think that, sadly, it is unlikely they will produce other NE locos. Was this true or has that announcement now been withdrawn. I have seen no other reference to it. I would love an A2, but I would rather have a lesser loco esp a 2-8-0.

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
Nothing to indicate we are not getting the Peppercorn A2. I would have preferred something 6 or 8 coupled from the NE goods department, but larger express locos do sell 'tis said. Bachmann are 'light' on forthcoming steam types, the A2 is the only announced steam type awaited; so at least a couple more whenever they choose to go public would be the expectation in a normal year. Replacements for current split chassis models is another area that I hope gets attention.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
The ROD / 04 is a good idea, remember that the GWR had a fair few of these after WW1 and the tenders survived with members of the 2251 Class - I am not so sure that some of the other pre-grouping companies didn't get some as well, any ideas? And several ended up in Australia too...

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Noggins Friend @ 13 Jan 2009, 23:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I believe the LNWR bought them and used their tenders

*** Yes - they were often found on Claughtons on the Midland division of the LMS as there were few water troughs there and the higher capacity of the ROD tenders made them a useful replacement for the Claughtons original Bowen-Cooke Tenders (the Claughton cab roofs and domes were also changed for Midland Division due to the smaller loading Gauge there). I have built one of each for my Claughton

Richard

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
The GWR acquired about 100, and scrapped roughly half to form a spares pool over the ensuing ten years, recycling the tenders; and passed on about forty of the locos into BR ownership, and these operated until 1958. Although the LMS quickly ran the LNWR acquired RODs into the scrapyard, the tenders lingered on. The LNER as the majority operator sent them 'everywhere', they were regularly seen at LNE/LMS loco exchange locations. And finally with BR(ER) they ran onto LMR metals in the course of regular freight operation. There's the attraction; much more widespread use than is usual; especially the aspect of operation by three of the big four companies.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back to the A2. I have seen a number of photographs. Am I right in saying that there were two types. Some seem to have the cylinders behind the front wheels. I have a fantastic picture of Wolf of Badenoch with very small smoke deflectors. A very impressive engine. This is titled A2/2. I have seen others with full smoke deflectors and they look very ungainly indeed. Others branded A2 appear to be the same as A1s. If they were indeed A2s how did they differ in appearnce to A1s or was it all on the inside? I have very little experience of NE engines. Not many came to Bristol! As far as I recall Blue Peter looks just like an A1. I have a picture of A2 Bahram. Apart from a single chimney it looks just like an A1 enlighten me please. I have found pictures of A2/1s,A2/2s and A2/3s they are quite diffrent in appearance.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I understand that Bachmann are not going to reveal their plans for 2009 and beyound until mid to late February. Their web site has just anounced that the next Collector's Club Magazine will not be published until late February. They always send out the new catalouge with it. So plenty of time for speculation on what will be added to the range in addition to the A2.

Hopefully a long firebox Jubilee is reasonably certain! Tornado in apple green would be nice too!

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
And so to the LNER pacific saga.

In the beginning were Gresley pacifics of neat and elegant external form.
The following CME, Thompson, applied some different design principles and produced one 6'8" wheeled pacific (A1/1 Great Northern) and A2 pacifics with 6'2" driving wheels. The primary external distinguishing feature was placement of the outside cylinders behind the rear bogie wheels.
The following CME, Peppercorn, redesigned the A1 and A2, resulting in the outside cylinders neatly positioned between the bogie wheels once again. These classes were very similar in appearance, the easiest way to differentiate them is probably the small splashers only present on the larger wheeled A1s.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
QUOTE (Noggins Friend @ 13 Jan 2009, 16:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A1 enlighten me please.

Hi Noggins Friend

Check out this website
http://www.lner.info/index.shtml
Pretty much all you could want to know about the LNER locomotives.
For the record the A2 that Bachmann anounced is the Peppercorn A2 and has a very strong family resemblance to the Peppercorn A1 they already produce.

As for what they may anounce this year, I think (hope really) that the Br std 2 gets a look in, 78019 please.
I'd quite like a Stanier mogel but I doubt that will be made.

Andii

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
QUOTE (John H-T @ 13 Jan 2009, 20:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I understand that Bachmann are not going to reveal their plans for 2009 and beyound until mid to late February. Their web site has just anounced that the next Collector's Club Magazine will not be published until late February. They always send out the new catalouge with it.

The announcements are always before the release of the catalogue - I have read elsewhere that the announcement is the weekend of 24/25 Jan.

·
Registered
102 Posts
id put my vote in for the standard 2 mogul, they were navtive to stainmore so wud be dead chuffed, also standard 3 mogul, or does that sound gready?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Arethusa. Read the website. I am now an expert. The answer seems to be bigger wheels and longer, but superficially very similar. Thank you for clearing that up.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Lots of good stuff here. The Peppercorn A1s and A2s also differed slightly in the regulator linkage. Although the A2s were originally fitted with an internal linkage they quickly acquired smokebox valves with a long operating lever on the fireman's side of the boiler - of course this is only apparent in "offside" photos. "Blue Peter" carries a boiler which still has a blanking plate on the backplate for the original arrangement (I believe!). Visually, the A1s appear to have a smaller boiler but this is a visual trick created by the high running plate and larger wheels.

The RODs were, of course, "Swindonised" on the GWR and had GW pattern safety valve bonnets fitted.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I recall the Swindon RODs. I was a trainspotter in the mid to late 50s. Very happy days. As we were used to the Western image of tapered boilers brunswick green and brass. RODs seemed very dull an alien by comparison and we did not give them much thought. I wish I had paid them more attention because the glamour "namers" (Kings and Castles to the fore) from the Western have lost their appeal. A model ROD with its quirky steam bonnet would be very appealing. Assuming that if they ever get produced they will bring out the O4 too so I would have one of each.

·
Registered
88 Posts
All the A2's were very attractive in their own way. Bachmann have taken the "safe" choice with the Peppercorn A2 which as said earllier is very similar to the A1. It also allows the reproduction of an A2 in preservation - Blue Peter. However, the A2/3 is arguably at the same time the most powerful looking and most ungainly looking and would have been a very intriguing model. The combination of the outside cylinders sitting behind the rear wheel of the front bogie and the massive full depth smoke deflectors sets it apart from all other big pacifics and in addition the A2/3 offers some wonderful names - "Airborne", Steady Aim", "Ocean Swell", Straight Deal". I'll settle for a single chimney Peppercorn A2 but would have loved a 2/3 (but still really yearning for a Caley 0-4-4T). Mike

·
Registered
116 Posts
Big fan of the Thompson Pacifics which are subject of mostly unjustified bad press in particular the A2/3 was a excellent engine. Even the rebuilt A1/1 Great Northern was a better engine than the original A1 version (I'll duck at this point)

My DJH version of the A2/3 Hycilla

·
Registered
88 Posts
****, she's a beauty - well done. Have you a three quarter front view to show off the very dominating front end given by the full length smoke deflectors? Anyone modelling the East Coast main line (or parts thereof!) must surely include a 2/3, it would be incomplete without one. Mike

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
QUOTE (60159 @ 15 Jan 2009, 16:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>..but still really yearning for a Caley 0-4-4T ..
Mike,

You should suggest to Hornby that the Caley 439 family 0-4-4T is a logical follow on to their Clan. Then they can do one of these 0-4-4Ts specially fitted with cast iron front bufferbeams for added traction pushing weak locos (Clan!) up Beattock. If Hornby didn't bite though, wouldn't you be tempted to modify a short frame M7 to represent a McIntosh 439? New side tanks for the roll into the top surface, and some width removed from the cab and bunker would constitute the serious modification required.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts