Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts

Click here for the review

I listed the various models produced. If you know of any more, please let me know and I'll update the list.

This model would be improved with a little weathering. I'd appreciate any pointers on weathering a model such as this. How dirty did the GWR locos get? And what did the under-frame look like a good few years into the loco's working life?

·
In depth idiot
7,536 Posts
Like any steam loco, they could become very filthy indeed, and the evidence available in photographic form shows GWR locos getting as dirty as any other companies machines. The frames and other stressed components were painted red inside, but were generally of the appearance of a tarred road, unless they had recently been 'gone over' by a fitter on a scheduled inspection looking for fatigue cracks. So it is up to you. Everything from near pristine, to the cleanest thing on the loco being the coal...

Neat review. There really is a joint in the boiler cladding on the top centre line. Only more recent toolings such as Hornby's A4 have attempted to show the fixings integral with the near inevitable mould join.

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
Hi Doug from what I have read [I did have a ngauge GWR layout before going OO] it was only in the last years of steam that they were left to get guroty .after the take over by BR the GWR men still kept there trains a lot cleaner than the rest. But as they say it is what you wont that counts. It is a fine looking loco I would only give it a light coating.

Dave

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I agree Dave, I wouldn't want too much muck on it, but I'm keen to take some of the shine off the chassis.

Virtually all the recent photos of the loco are of the preserved engine and they must have a team of guys keeping it in top condition. The B&W photo used in the review show a very uniform matt finish, I would have loved to see that in full colour. Anyone have any colour photos of working GWR green locos?

·
In depth idiot
7,536 Posts
A book I keep referring to as a near essential resource is 'The Big Four in Colour 1935 - 50'. This contains the best cross-section of the available colour photos that you can get. The GWR is just as filthy as everywhere else, steam loco exhaust being very democratic and filthing all things equally. The sampling is fairly wide, and on the evidence of these photos the LNER and Southern were tops for gleaming locomotives, the LMS firmly at the bottom of the pile.

I only saw the final decade of steam operation, and only in England as far north as Newcastle, and West to Weston-super-mare, mostly London area. ER kept its pacifics in really good trim while on express turns, green and shiny, other locos from clean to grubby, but the heavy freight types were often moving ash heaps. LMR was a pit of unimaginable filth. As a small boy I honestly thought their locos were actually painted matt grey-brown, as that was the universal colour. SR electric was astounding, who knew railways could be that clean? The express locos green and shiny up to 1964, then it 'went off' badly, all the lesser steam locos generally grubby.

And WR, slightly better than LMR, but only slightly. I still remember the disappointment of seeing it the first time after the fabled stories. Not a patch on BR(ER), grubby engines (even the Castles), slow trains, uncomfortable ride in its carriages with dirty windows badly obscuring the outlook, not very inspiring at all to one used to the performance on 'the racetrack'.

Really you have all the choices though. All locos were clean ex-works, and then were either cleaned regularly or not.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Doug ,
The loco below was base on a photo of the "real thing" taken at Swindon ( The owner of the photo wanted a loco painting and this was my other attempt at it -Good deal - he owned a model shop , in fact he sold me my first GWR Loco
)

From memory (or rather looking at the Model ) it was "dusty" rather than dirty . The Model is an old Mainline , I have a couple of them and they still run surprisingly well , The other one featured on a recent video , moving very well for such an old lady !

Graham

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Thanks for this Doug. It's not on my list but I did have the old one years ago and it was a favourite of mine. Any GWR modeller MUST have one of these. The decoder install pictures are going to be really useful.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts