Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts

Bachmann have released pictures of the New Class 37/4 retooled from the original. The pictures look promising. The radiator roof fan grille will be made from etched metal and a new, chunkier radiator fan will be fitted beneath it. This all new Branchline model will include opening driving cab doors. Directional LED lighting will be provided on both nose ends. This Loco will benefit from 6 axle drive ensuring smooth and powerful performance. Twin flywheel drive will be installed. The bogie frames are all new and feature separate details. The wheels will also be a new design with an improved rim. The Class 37/4 will be the first Branchline locomotive to feature working cab lights. These lights can be switched on or off using the Bachmann Ez Command or soon to be launched Ez Command Dynamis Digital controllers.

bachmann.co.uk

·
Registered
342 Posts
As long as they put this one out in liveries for the 37/4 and don't try and sell it as a corporate blue or earlier livery 37/0 It looks as though they've answered their critics but the picture is not clear enough to see all the detail alterations

·
DT
4,794 Posts
QUOTE This Loco will benefit from 6 axle drive ensuring smooth and powerful performance. Twin flywheel drive will be installed. Looks like a powerful beast.

QUOTE ...will be the first Branchline locomotive to feature working cab lights... Do any other locos mainstream locos have this feature. Sure it's a little gimicky, but quite cool nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I have Trix ones which do (ICE3, GG1, Big Boy) but I can't think of any UK outline that does. I am surpised that Hornby doesn't do it to show of their detailed cabs in some of their new locos. I haven't seen the detailed cabs in my class 31 and 50 as it's too dark!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does look good, although the picture does not show an ETH socket!! Also Cantrail and Nose end grilles are wrong for a 37/4 but at least the shape is right.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Brilliant! 37's (and 31's) are the diesels of my youth so I too can't wait. Just shows that constructive criticism can bring results. And to think Hornby still makes its abominable version, actually worse that the Triang 60's original with those cl47 bogies!!!

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Bachmann press release:

Class 37/4 tooling complete

Bachmann Europe PLC has announced that the tooling for the Branchline Class 37/4 Diesel Locomotive has recently been completed.

David Haarhaus, Sales & Marketing Manager of Bachmann said "we have listened to customer feedback on our previous range of Class 37 diesels and have created what is a brand new model. Tooling options allow us to provide a number of variations for cab noses and grilles, which provide us with plenty of options for future models".

The model will be powered by a new chassis unit with 6 axle drive with twin flywheels. New bogie frames have been tooled and new wheels of improved profile. The body will feature an etched brass radiator roof fan grille and a new radiator fan beneath it. Opening cab doors will be provided and directional LED lighting will be provided on both nose ends.

David Haarhaus continued "we have a strong commitment at Bachmann to Digital Command and Control (DCC), we are pleased to announce that the Class 37/4 will be the first Branchline locomotive to feature working cab lights to show the detailed cab interiors. These lights can be switched on or off using our Bachmann EZ Command or soon to be launched EZ Command Dynamis Digital controllers. We continue to pursue excellence across all our activities and this is another pioneering move by Bachmann for British outline models".

309 locomotives were built between 1960 and 1965 for mixed traffic use by English Electric at Vulcan Foundry and Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns. Most were fitted with steam heating for use on passenger trains but 31were fitted with electric train heating between 1986-7 to become Class 37/4. The introduction of newer locomotives has seen the withdrawal of many of the Class 37 locomotives. A number of Class 37/4's remain in use with EWS for contract work for passenger operators.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I noticed on my visit to the Bachmann site that they have now posted two closer images of one end of the 37/4. The text around them explains how they have "mix and match" tooling to produce the different grill variants. From this you would assume that the two images would illustrate the result. I must be getting old (this is non employment related remark, so it's ok
) but I can't tell the two images apart. They look the same to me. So it would be nice if some 37 experts would take a look and point out what I can't see.

David

·
Registered
18 Posts
Top image has a vertical bar down the centre of the nose grills, whilst the lower image does not.

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these beauties.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
So it does! Thanks for pointing that out. I guess we will have to count the rivets on this pair

David

·
Registered
8 Posts
This 37/4 looks like an excellent model. Nice to see the correct cantrail curvature and less overscale detail. I'm looking forward to seeing both this and the Class 47 on the shop shelves, though I'm still fond of my Heljna 47s! Just a thought - does anyone know, will the 37/4's cab lighting feature work with ordinary DC control, or will it only work on DCC?

Cheers,

Ray

·
Registered
18 Posts
David,

I'm no model critic. I am glad these great locos are being produced with such attention to detail.

Let us hope that Bachmann get the right grills on the right locos. I suspect these items where interchangeable as class members visited the works during the last 30 years.

Chip.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>I'm no model critic. I am glad these great locos are being produced with such attention to detail.
I didn't mean to suggest that you were. I'm pleased to see Bachmann being creative with their tooling so that they can produce these minor variations. I guess it must cost more, but they probably to get that money back and more besides because people will happily buy more than one if there are differences.

Good luck to them and well done.

David

1 - 18 of 18 Posts