Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I bought a Bachmann 4-8-4 in America whils't on holiday there.I was assured that it was capable of running ok on 3rd radius track.On testing it would not clear the first curve so I decided to put in another circuit of 4th radius.It clears the curves in reverse but going forwards the first of the 4 driving wheels comes off the track after 3 inches of the curve,and then then the front bogie also derails.Have I got a bad one or does it need an even bigger radius.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Kevin

·
Registered
35 Posts
Used a Bachmann 2 10 2 for the first time today, may have smaller wheel diameter, but fine on 3rd and even does 2nd!!! rad curves, requires a little restraint over points, but does not like curved points, (that part not nailed down yet though and it is uneven).

I have removed the front bogie though, flies off even if you just sneeze.

Used an Atlas GE Dash 8-40-B for first time, beautiful. More Atlas locos for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi All
I have now managed to get it round the track forwards and backwards at about half speed on 3rd and 4th radius without derailing by relaying the track but even the long points seem to be too much for it.I'm thinking now of using it as a shuttle on a long straight.Thanks for the suggestions.
Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts