Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, merry christmas to you all, I hope you are all having a good time.

I've opened the present from the wife and it is a Bacmann 66 with sound
But this one is lacking sound..............and movement, but it looks nice on the track

When I go to program it , it tells me that the decoder is manufacturer 255 and the version is 255. It should read 151 for the manufacturer as it is an ESU?

I have reset CV08 to 08 but still the same, and sometimes it detects a short cicuit. I've tested another loco on my test track and it works fine.

Have they sent me a 47 and not a 66?.....................................a Duff!

By the way I'm using an NCE Powercab.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>it tells me that the decoder is manufacturer 255 and the version is 255.
In case you didn't know, 255 in binary code is eight '1's - 11111111. You've probably noticed that the detailed description of some CVs in your decoders have eight possible settings. These settings can be combined into a single decimal number in the range 0 to 255. Receiving a reply of 255 is generally not a good sign, especially for manufacturer and version.

Have you tried Doug's "first test" of reading back the loco address (CV1)?

I have to say the signs are not good which must be an incredible disappointment - I know I would be.

David

·
Registered
257 Posts
Haven't had access to the new Bachmann sound locos, but have you tried pressing F1 (or just the number one on the PowerCab) - this sometimes is used to "wake up" sound decoders. If the loco has lights, sometimes just pressing the "Headlight" button on the PowerCab has the same effect.

Regards

John R
Bromsgrove Models

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have since bought another Class 66 with sound and that one works fine.
I have tried the other one and it still gives 255 for the manufacturer and version.
I have now returned it to Jackson's Models.
This has not put me off sound at all I think it really brings it to life, the only problem i have now is getting the other 10 locos upgaded to sound

1 - 4 of 4 Posts