Model Railway Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I accept that 00 is out of scale. You simply won't get modellers to change and that includes me. Yes it's not right but acceptable (to me) and thats what counts.
I do like American H/O, particularly the steamers. But if I changed I would loose my knowledge base. I'd rather build a modual for our clubs modular layout, it's less investment and gives a change to get into the swing of things. At home it's OO, and thats because when I mooted a change of scale recently I got major gip from the Mrs.
The scale that deserved support was 3mm or TT. You got much more railway in the space, it could have been made true 3mm and it's more practical for older folks with the aging eyes.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE I accept that 00 is out of scale. You simply won't get modellers to change and that includes me. Yes it's not right but acceptable (to me) and thats what counts

At the end of the day you have to get a balance between accuracy and ability to operate efficiently. This is the reason we have OO British outline and the HO continental coaches are 1/100 rather than 1/87. If it doesn't run well then it's no fun. Which is what puts me off expanding into American HO in a big way. American NRMA insists on RP25 wheels which may be more accurate scale wise but you probably spend more time putting your rolling stock back on the tracks than you actually do running it. I guess you just have to do whatever works.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I think there must be. The bulk of my derailments are American outline with RP25 wheels.

Also in the Trix catalogue they offered two versions of the Big Boy one with RP 25 wheels for the American two rail system and one with European style wheels which had NEM compatible wheels for the European system. The reason being that the US one would not work well on European code 100 track. My understanding is that derailment with RP25 is less likely in the USA because they tend to have huge layouts with very wide curves whereas in Europe they tend to have small layouts with smaller loops requiring the larger flanges to negotiate the tight curves.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 23 Jun 2006, 12:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes that's true, is there a problem with RP25 wheels and Code 100?

Well not really. RP25 and Code 100 are an NMRA standard. Code 83 rail came about as a finescale alternative to Code 100 which in HO is about 138lbs per yard and code 83 about 98lbs per yard which is pretty close to most of the jointed rail used in the US up till the late sixties when many roads started using 120lbs per yard rail. For many modellers its the tracklaying that lets them down as they are trying to run models on track that isn't laid the best or is using setrack curves. If you lay your track well then RP25 or code 88 wheels aren't a problem. I found this out the hard way when I started with brass steam. My RTR diesels would navigate the track okay but my first brass loco, a Berkshire, would fall off the rails every time the wheels went round. That was twenty years ago and now I lay my track and build my base boards to a "set standard" I have adopted within a group of us. There's always a rogue in a any group who does things his way and he has more derailments in one session than the rest of us have in year.

Ozzie21

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
QUOTE I lay my track and build my base boards to a "set standard" I have adopted within a group of us. There's always a rogue in a any group who does things his way and he has more derailments in one session than the rest of us have in year.

I'd be intrested to know what you standards are for base boards. My normal method of construction has always been L girder. This has proved to very stable, and in the past when I've rebuilt a layout much of the construction timers have been reused with little modification. Thats not possible with my current project as the timber was left in South Africa, there are regulations relating to the import and export of untreated timber, the same as in Australia. So for the first time in many years I'm starting from scratch.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I used to do the same thing "L Girder" construction using Linn Westcott's methods. But I have since moved away as the quality of lumber has changed with the use of plantation pine. I now use manufactured "L Girders" using 1/2inch and 3/4inch plywood and use the same material for the rest of the baseboard construction. You still have to use a bit of timber for gussets, legs and things but I think I get a much more stable construction that is less prone to warping due to temperature and the use of airconditioning in the train shed. I have also used a masonite lath for the subroad bed which is also very strong and stable but is limiting in the size of curves you can bend it to. This is topped off with concrete expansion jointing and the track is glued to that.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 23 Jun 2006, 17:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd be intrested to know what you standards are for base boards. My normal method of construction has always been L girder. This has proved to very stable, and in the past when I've rebuilt a layout much of the construction timers have been reused with little modification. Thats not possible with my current project as the timber was left in South Africa, there are regulations relating to the import and export of untreated timber, the same as in Australia. So for the first time in many years I'm starting from scratch.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I got it down to about 34inches using 5 laps of 1/8" masonite 3/4" wide cut from 8'x4' sheets. You could probably get it smaller but thats about as small a radius as I needed at the time. it's time consuming and messy as you use lots of PVA glue, drywall screws and clamps. Once it's dry though it's a very stable and strong roadbed. Check out Joe Fugates Siskuo Line which you can find on the US NRMA pages as for the life me I can't find the web address.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 24 Jun 2006, 16:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Intresting, what is the minum rad you can get with the spline road bed ? assuming your modelling HO/OO.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Ahh!
thats how you spell it. I found the correct spelling when I was looking at an Espee DVD after I sent the post. I would have liked to try out his mushroom design but I need a bit more width to really make it work. Might have to knock the shed down and build another
Wouldn't I be popular then

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Dennis David @ 25 Jun 2006, 00:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>http://siskiyou-railfan.net/e107_plugins/c....php?content.26

I heard the videos are very good.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.