Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my very reliable Bach A1's well and truly failed out on the layout earlier this week, slowing down very rapidly and moving jerkily as it slowed to a halt, so was set aside for investigation.

Got around to it this morning, and the problem was immediately obvious once the mechanism was got out of the body, which process had been achieved with some difficulty. There had been a strip of insulation tape on the ballast block forward of the worm, and the worm had caught what must have been a flappy end and 'wound it in'. The other end of the tape had still been firmly attached, thus the difficulty getting the mechanism out of the body.

First the good news, no damage at all, with the tape pieces removed from the model mechanism and the ballast weight the normal smooth running is fully restored.

Now the question, where did that tape come from? Could it have been a previous owner (the model was a s/h purchase) or was it applied by Bachmann?

The reason for asking is that I have never seen tape on top of the forward ballast blocks of A1's, a good number of which have been through my hands and taken apart to pack in the lead ballast required for traction, until I arrived at the simpler process which was applied to this last A1 purchase of a lead cylinder installed forward by removing the smokebox front, and a balancing lump behind the motor. Do I need to inspect all my Bachmann steamers of similar construction (A2, K3, Fairburn 4MT, 3F tank, 57xx) that haven't been fiddled with overmuch internally, to check for tape?

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Hi 34C

One of the things that stopped me buying engines from fleabay, was shoddy repairs hidden under tape...

I have in the past found some sound installers have usd copious amount of it to hold the wires out of the way.

Derek

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Derek.

I have somewhat answered my question by inspecting a few locos, and have concluded that this tape was probably added to the A1 by some previous owner for their own reasons.
...One of the things that stopped me buying engines from fleabay, was shoddy repairs hidden under tape...
Yes. Great at start up, hobbyist to hobbyist with no 'surprises'; and then swiftly invaded and totally swamped by 'bottom feeders' as far as the model railway hobby was concerned..

·
Chief cook & bottle washer
2,919 Posts
Thanks Derek.

I have somewhat answered my question by inspecting a few locos, and have concluded that this tape was probably added to the A1 by some previous owner for their own reasons.

Yes. Great at start up, hobbyist to hobbyist with no 'surprises'; and then swiftly invaded and totally swamped by 'bottom feeders' as far as the model railway hobby was concerned..

·
Chief cook & bottle washer
2,919 Posts
I've only ever bought two railway things from ebay and been lucky both times. One was a Jinty and the other was a push pull carriage. It's good you sorted it out.

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I was very happy that it proved such an easy fix, as it is one of the two A1s I have that has a Mashima 1430. (These were produced after the long ago motor problem on their first batch of A1's, after which they reverted to a Kader design motor.) These are significantly faster than the Kader motored A1's which just manage 90mph under load. Now while that's enough to run the trains at line limit, everyone knows that ex-LNER pacific designs went much faster than that, given any opportunity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts