Photo Dave Hadley, source Wikipedia
Bachmann Europe PLC displayed a OO gauge Peppercorn A2 Class locomotive at its Annual Trade Open Days held at it's Barwell HQ this past week-end.
The London & North Eastern Railway (LNER) built the first locomotive to the design of A.H. Peppercorn in 1947. A further 14 locomotives were completed by British Railways in 1948. Used on secondary express passenger duties on the East Coast Main Line between Peterborough and Aberdeen. These locomotives were particularly useful on lines with steep gradients and sharp curves such as the Dundee - Aberdeen and Edinburgh - Carlisle (Waverley Route). The first locomotive was withdrawn in 1962 and the last in 1966. One locomotive (No. 60532 'Blue Peter') has been preserved and is currently being overhauled.
Initially three versions of the locomotive will be produced as follows:
No.525 'A.H.Peppercorn' in LNER green
No.60532 'Blue Peter' in BR green with late crest
No.60537 'Batchelors Button' in BR green with early emblem
Although Bachmann inherited the old Trix /Liliput tooling when it purchased the Liliput company in 1992, the tooling for the A2 was badly worn and could not be reintroduced. This model will encompass new locomotive tooling, the tender tooling for which already exists.
Further details will be announced in due course with the models available during 2009.