Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first 20 class today. It certainly is a neat model with some lovely detail and it sure does sound different compared to my usual repitoire of steam sounds. Hauled it's first train of forty, four wheeled wagons to night without any problems. Now I can't wait for the Deltic to arrive. I just wonder where the crew went

Ozzie21

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Call me the worlds worst google searcher but everybody seems to be picking up these sound class 20's but me! Where are they as I have yet to see any for sale anywhere!

If they excite the lady friends as much as everybody else who has one seems to claim then I will get a whole fleet!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Doug. You did get the last one!

They were never really offered up on the website as there is a strong demand from through the door visitors.

Everybody is waiting for more to come in. Demand is outstripping supply apparently!

I do not like pre-ordering however I am going to have to pre-order a Deltic because if I do not then I fear I won't get one!

Warley MRC have ordered 3 Deltic DVD's for their library packed with sounds of Deltics accelerating out of stations and screaming along the East coast main line with the unique banshee whistle that they had.

That has been the most voted for request by club members!

I am really looking forward to watching all 3 DVD's!

Gloat! Gloat!

The Class 20 sounds great and has a fantastic chug however the sound of a screaming Deltic is the best sound on the planet!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gary try Hattons they have them in stock £107.00.
I ordered one on friday and it is in the post.
ref no 32-040ds. hope you are lucky.
regards Hildo

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've got 2 non-sound BR blue 20s - the second being an impulse buy off my local shop's stand at a local show for £40 , basically cos it had the number to which ?I was going to renumber my first 20....

They are very nice. They run beautifully slowly and smoothly and reliably, and the body is good . I've plugged away at reworking a Dublo 20 because I got it dirt cheap and it already had scale wheels , and I've had a go at trying to sort out a Lima 20. Both have a slightly free interpretation of the body side within a scale length (Limas is much more inaccurate). Bachmann is spot on in terms of nose length , panel arrangement etc and the detail is far finer. (And of course neither older model comes within a country mile of the Bachmann model mechanically)

I remember one local rivet counter declaring solumnly that "There are 6 major faults with the Bachmann 20" . I recall one was the angle of inclination of the sandpipes, which he claimed made the whole model absurd - well neither the Wrenn nor Lima models had sandpipes , so their angle was an irrelevant question,,. And I can't even recall the 5th and 6th alleged fault they were so minor

I do hope Bachmann's reduction in the flywheels to accomodate sound hasn't compromised the superb running in any way

They are very fine indeed, and for just £85 you can buy a superb 20 and a superb 08 and you have the makings of a shunting layout that should be a joy to operate , and won't leave you chewing the carpet with fustration , as L:ima and Wrenn 20s left me

Truly we never have had it so good......

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gary, my mate still has 5 of them. saeems there not a good seller as the sound only works on DCC and not on DC. They are about A$300. I can give you phone number if you want

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Gary @ 15 Feb 2007, 00:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Call me the worlds worst google searcher but everybody seems to be picking up these sound class 20's but me! Where are they as I have yet to see any for sale anywhere!

If they excite the lady friends as much as everybody else who has one seems to claim then I will get a whole fleet!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another question rekated to the class 20 from Bachmann. As there is no crew with it did BR run with single or two man crews. I have a crew to install but I don't want to put in two if only one was needed.

Ozzie21

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Normally the twenties wer double manned, certainly in BR days, wouldn't like to say on privatised ones.

Regards

John

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi,

I have just posted a reply in Bachmann Sound Thread. I have bought a Sound (!) Class 20, D8113, approx a fortnight ago. I checked the Hatton's website not too long ago today and they appear to have some available.

Hugh

1 - 15 of 15 Posts