Model Railway Forum banner

Bachmann Class 24 (32-428)

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  paul_d 
Hi Paul

If the price you quote is correct - it's very good value for money.

However, you didn't say what period, (if any) your layout is based on.

I'm sure that the last Class 24 was withdrawn, in the ScR anyway, around early 1981. I think some survived in the Crewe area and in Wales for a bit later.
The last time I worked on one was a Sunday Ballast train in late 1980.

As regards the performance, well the model more than matches the prototype.

I can recall them struggling to get above 45mph with 4 Mk1 coaches on, climbing any gradient worth mentioning.

If it's of any interest to you anyone, they were affectionately known as "slot machines" or "1 arm bandits", because the Reverser, and the Power Handle were housed in a sort of standalone unit on the floor, which was quite seperate from the Drivers desk as such.

Well Paul, you've found your own back door. Carlisle Kingmoor in the late 1980s and early 1990s, had a few Class 25s and atleast 1 Class 24 mothballed there.
(it had no headcode above the cab front so it was definitely a 24).

They had all been withdrawn years before, but they weren't all stabled in the main Shed area on the Down side.

Some were stabled in sidings on the Up side in front of what I was told to be part of an old Steam Shed, which had sat derelict for some 10 years or so since the late atleast 1979.

They were taken away in the 1990s sometime, by road haulage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.