Model Railway Forum banner

Bachmann Class 24 (32-428)

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  paul_d 
#1 ·
Anybody any experiences of this model? I fancy one, and at £33 from Hattons seems very good value. It's going for this price at a few other places too. What do you think the reason is for this being so cheap?

As Hattons says 'bargain'....but is it?

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Thanks Spongebob. Roof curvature isn't on my list of priorities...looks alreet to me

Thats what I like to hear though - smooth, quiet, DCC socket. As you say Hattons £4 delivery charge is a bit steep, but at £37 is still a good buy. I'll check out the delivery at those other spots first.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Scooter @ 20 Jan 2006, 10:11)However, you didn't say what period, (if any) your layout is based on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Scooter, the reason I didn't mention my layout is because it is still in my head

I'm building up a collection of locomotives first. This gives me the motiviation and justification to then build the layout.

My plan is very unconventional when compared to most of the other members layouts. First and foremost it's going to be post privatisation freight based. Especially the period when EWS's inherited traction was still in BR's various colours (mainline, loadhaul, transrail, grey sectorision etc. This provides a plethora of liveries.

So where does the Class 24 in BR blue come in then??? Well I also plan to build a British Rail diesel 'heritage' centre. A kind of museum where I can run passenger charter trips pulled by classic diesel traction. Great excuse to incorporate BR corporate blue on my layout. They will be housed in a roundhouse / turntable style set-up.

I will be building each depot on seperate 'modules' baseboards, which can then be taken into the attic of my new residence once I get it. (long and narrow boards to fit through loft hatch). 1 x board for the BR museum, 1 x board for the EWS depot and 1 x board for a DRS depot. I will have them spaced out around the edges of the attic, and linked with long sections of track.

A future add-on 'module' will probably be a passenger station roughly based on Carlisle. I can then add Virgin 87's, voyagers, new pendolino, Northern 156's.

So you can see I am a 'livery' junky. I want to be able to collect and run lots of different liveries on different classes all on the same layout. This modular approach lets me do that. It might sound a bit crazy and not entirely prototypical, but hey what the h*ll. It floats my boat.

Paul

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Interesting info that Scooter...thanks. As I'm not from a railway background (career wise) info like that is great. One of my modules will be the DRS Kingmoor depot. Sad to see the rest of Kingmoor now, gradually being taken over by a timber yard. Before long there'll be nowt left.

Sorry Doug for kinda going off topic a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.