Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone.

I recently purchased a Bachmann Class 40 second hand. It runs well & looks great.
Unfortunately one of the bogies came loose in transit and pulled away from the driveshaft & broke the pickup cable where it goes up into the chassis. I was able to clip the driveshaft connection back in quite easily but I need to take off the body to reconnect the pickup cable.

The leaflet says there are two screws at each end keeping the body on the chassis but I suspect there may be more.

Can someone who has worked on this model tell me the following?

(1) How many screws are they?

(2) What size & type are the screws as they are recessed & hard to see?

(3) Are there any clips up along the side of the body as I don't want to cause any damage.

Thanks for any help on this.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (TonyDaly @ 5 Jul 2008, 21:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello Everyone.

I recently purchased a Bachmann Class 40 second hand. It runs well & looks great.
Unfortunately one of the bogies came loose in transit and pulled away from the driveshaft & broke the pickup cable where it goes up into the chassis. I was able to clip the driveshaft connection back in quite easily but I need to take off the body to reconnect the pickup cable.

[/color]

The leaflet says there are two screws at each end keeping the body on the chassis but I suspect there may be more.

Can someone who has worked on this model tell me the following?

(1) How many screws are they?

(2) What size & type are the screws as they are recessed & hard to see?

(3) Are there any clips up along the side of the body as I don't want to cause any damage.

Thanks for any help on this.

***Hi Tony - its just as per the assembly diagramme

Its not a hard disassembly for this one. There are 4 screws as mentioned - philips head. There are two clips each side - slightly spring the body sides out for removal.

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 5 Jul 2008, 13:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Hi Tony - its just as per the assembly diagramme

Its not a hard disassembly for this one. There are 4 screws as mentioned - philips head. There are two clips each side - slightly spring the body sides out for removal.

Richard
DCCconcepts

Richard! You are fast lol
Is that 4 screws in total (2 each end) or 4 screws each end & do you happen to know what size they are ?
Thanks.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (TonyDaly @ 5 Jul 2008, 21:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Richard! You are fast lol
Is that 4 screws in total (2 each end) or 4 screws each end & do you happen to know what size they are ?
Thanks.

Hi Tony

2 each end, close to the buffer beam and they are the standard bachmann small philips head - I don't know the head #

Richard

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 5 Jul 2008, 14:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Tony

2 each end, close to the buffer beam and they are the standard bachmann small philips head - I don't know the head #

Richard

Hi Richard.
Thanks for that.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 5 Jul 2008, 14:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Tony

Richard

Hi Richard.
Judging by information I have received there seem to be 2 types. One has 4 screws each end (2 by the buffers & 2 by the feul tanks)& the other has only two each end by the buffers.
The model I have appears to be 30-090 D396 which was issued with the Bachmann 15th anniversary Edition in 2004.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (TonyDaly @ 6 Jul 2008, 03:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Richard.
Judging by information I have received there seem to be 2 types. One has 4 screws each end (2 by the buffers & 2 by the feul tanks)& the other has only two each end by the buffers.
The model I have appears to be 30-090 D396 which was issued with the Bachmann 15th anniversary Edition in 2004.

***I've only come across the one fixing style for the class 40 Tony - the several I've done for others and the two I own are exactly as per the Bachmann service sheet for the model.

Certainly some Bachmann diesel models have more than 4 screws and some have screws by the tanks AND buffer beam, but not class 40's as far as I know.

No matter.... If its in front of you you should already KNOW anyway - because if there are more they will be obvious as if they are by the fuel tank they are always clear of the bogie, set deep down in a clearly visible hole about 5mm in diameter - and they'll still be the same screw type at the buffer beams.

Regards

Richard

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Richard,
I can confirm some Bachmann Class 40's have 8 screws in total, I have 4 and all mine have the eight screws.
They are a superb model, The ones I own are 40122 LTd Edition with sound and lights, 40145 CFPS Ltd Edt, 40169 without tanks and a resprayed model of 40145 with the large logo. I want at least another 4 of them in time,
Regards
Gary

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (GaryHN @ 6 Jul 2008, 20:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Richard,
I can confirm some Bachmann Class 40's have 8 screws in total, I have 4 and all mine have the eight screws.
They are a superb model, The ones I own are 40122 LTd Edition with sound and lights, 40145 CFPS Ltd Edt, 40169 without tanks and a resprayed model of 40145 with the large logo. I want at least another 4 of them in time,
Regards
Gary

**I wonder when it changed? Not a bad change though, I prefer screws and no body clips as the bodies slide off nicely with no fiddling about. Either way as you said its a nice loco, I'm promarily a steam modeller but I like this one a lot - bachmann captured it quite well I think.

Richard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts