Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Chief cook & bottle washer
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’ve got the Bachman D1 with the nice smooth centre motor and it recently started that familiar screeching bearing noise. I’ve had this before and tried to use a long needle to wick oil on to the motor bearings unsuccessfully. Having to strip it down to gain proper access.

This time I decided to make it easier for next time. In the pic’s below You’ll see where I’ve elongated the opening in the chassis to make it possible to oil those bearings by only having to take the body off

No 1 is before any cutting which I did with a junior hacksaw and a Dremel with a file to tidy it up. As usual the camera is cruel and it doesn’t look so bad in the flesh.

2 is after. 3 is after from a different angle and 4 is finished.

Hope this helps someone.
Rectangle Wood Wood stain Floor Office ruler
Rectangle Wood Floor Flooring Bumper
Wood Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior Composite material
Line Gas Bumper Rectangle Engineering

Attachments

·
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff. As someone said on NRM forum, those bearings will never need oiling again.

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
That was me. My general experience of well used Chinese made RTR OO is that the motor bearings are reasonably reliable for low cost consumer grade items. I have only had one start to 'tweet' after about ten years service, and a dab of oil on the bearing making the noise has fixed it over the five years since.

Roughly 1% as that's from (what I find the rather alarming total of) just over 100 motorised models purchased in the past 20 years (how we have been spoiled for choice). Between grease on the axles and gear trains, and a regular oil around routine on the steam loco's rods, my assessment of the 'Chinese manufactured model's' mechanism longevity is increasingly positive. The oldest still running as well as ever 15 to 20 years in, and bear in mind many of these are upweighted for traction to near double their weight as received, and I operate near daily, so they run a lot by most owner's standards.

For comparison, my experience with kit built OO mechanisms used in the same way is wear out in 15-25 years (that's the sum of their service in the 1970s and from 2000; and as for the Bachmann split chassis which admittedly did most of their running outdoors which is punishing, 2 to 6 years. (Lot of variability in all of the design, materials choices and manufacturing quality in these last products. The motors however all fine throughout, and in subsequent repurposed use.)

·
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was surprised that it needed lubricating as I'd all ready done it once, so it didn't take much thinking about to make the decision to modify it for future ease.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts