Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Theres an article about it in Hornby magazine. In my opinion this is the first "duff" to actually look right.

Regards

John

·
In depth idiot
7,668 Posts
Very pleased with the D1500 version. As John wrote it basically looks right, and what small deficiencies there are can be corrected.

Performance of my example on a DC resistance controller (H&M Clipper!) was very good straight from the box. Quiet at all pseeds and in both directions, and immediately capable of a scale half mph crawl. That's comfortably the best 'starting performance' I have ever had from a Bachmann twin bogie diesel. On the downside, mine had an assembly fault. The black wire from the no 2 bogie pick up was connected to the 'SP+' tag, rather than the correct 'L' tag.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm surprised this one has attracted so little comment on here.

I don't normally buy big diesels , especially big freight diesels , - hence I'm pretty unlikely ever to purchase a Type 5 or Type 4 , and acquiring one of these isn't on my personal agenda.

But - they were the second biggest class of diesels ever to run in Britain (after the 08s) with over 500 locos built. A few are still in service , 45 years after introduction. If you are modelling a diesel operated main line between the early 60s and the turn of the Millenium you'll need a 47 or two. Or more

For what what its worth , from someone who has no intention of buying one, but has seen some photos on another site:

It's a modern high spec diesel, with the now usual centre motor , pickup all round, double bogie drive, working lights, DCC Ready etc etc. Haulage should be more than sufficent to pull anything you can hang behind it

Rivet counters suggest the rivets round the windscreen are far too prominent, and the frames to the windowns rather too prominent. Thre are some arguments about the exact bogie detail and fuel tank arrangement

But one thing that strikes me is how "right " the loco looks seen cab end one - certainly compared with the Heljan model which looks "humanoid" rather than "human" in a comparitive head on view. Given that the end on view is something I'm more familiar with than the details of bogies and pipework runs , this would tip me toward Bachmann if I were buying one (which I'm not)

The Heljan model is a modern high spec model with an excellent mechanism (albeit 1.5mm-2mm too wide - hence "tubbyduff"). I'd be surprised if there was a sudden dumping of Heljan 47s onto ebay to be replaced by the new Bachmann model. But it does look like Bachmann has an appriaciable edge

·
In depth idiot
7,668 Posts
QUOTE (Ravenser @ 26 Jul 2007, 18:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Haulage should be more than sufficent to pull anything you can hang behind it
Having got my example nicely run in, I can report that it has not quite got the traction of a Bach 66, 40 or 55; but then it is roughly 500g, against the 600g of these other types. So for anyone who needs to be able to haul more than 31 Bach mk1 coaches on level track, you will need to add more weight. There's plenty of room inside.

I probably will add weight to mine as it will otherwise stall on the 1 in 80 gradients of my layout, if I ever try to run a full size 7* freight of 90 four wheel wagons. (This was one of the early jobs for this type on the ECML.) My estimate is that an extra 150g will do the job.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mine has just arrived think its a good model and excellent value - a bit tricky to take apart, and so far have failed to get a DCC decoder to fit in, when also using a 21 pin to 8 pin converter.

anyone else managed?
anyone else tried a Lenz 21 pin silver direct in this loco - before i buy one?

Tim
My Blog

1 - 7 of 7 Posts