Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
In depth idiot
7,675 Posts
Good review, and thanks for the clear diagram of the connection layout on the 21 pin socket. It's good to have a realistic 47 with decent mechanism available. (For all the undoubted good attributes of the Heljan, it doesn't look right head on, and at what constitutes a premium price for the UK I expect the basic appearance to be correct.) There are detail errors on the Bachmann, but the only aspects that bother me are the front handrail and over heavy mouldings for the windcreen wipers. Some replacement metal parts will be substituted on my example in the fulness of time. The front headcode light is too 'blue white' for my taste even when reduced in output: a little wipe of yellow felt marker ink over the intermediate glazing ahead of the LED's corrected this.

General question: do others feel that Bachmann have 'raised their game' with this model? Compared to the 40 or 55 it's clearly better in features, detail, finish, tidiness of assembly, for no increase in price.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Excellent review!

Having fitted a 21/8 pin adapter to one of these beasts I would advise the following. Some eight pin decoder plugs will need their legs trimming to ensure the plug lies flat on the socket and it is worth applying insulating tape to the metal lug projecting through the PCB undrneath this fitting. Why? There is very little headroom for the decoder plug once it is fitted and the body will push this down onto the PCB below (and the metal lug!) causing a short.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi,

This loco does signify a raising in the game. There are very few shortcomings of note. I was able to put the 8 pin/21 pin adapter together with TCS MC4 decoder in with very little trouble.

Only matters of note: why do Bachmann persist with this problem of the body retaining screws? I think I was lucky to remove mine. Once I replaced the body, I found it was secure enough with the fore and aft screws. I noted also that the capacitors are easily accessible, but is there only two (or have I missed something here?).

My loco does a wonderful job on the layout, rocks a little over double slips, but that could be with my 'temporary' track arrangement!

Wonderful Loco, I have ordered a further unit for the fleet. I hope the Deltic Pinza (with sound) is being brought up to this level of quality.

Just a point on Falcon, it was fitted with 2 x Maybach MD655 V-Type of 1,440 BHP engines. Equipping this with sound might find a use for the Deltic sound arrangement from Bachmann, if possible? Any thoughts, anybody?

Cheers,

Hugh

·
In depth idiot
7,675 Posts
QUOTE (Hugh Williams @ 9 Sep 2007, 11:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>..why do Bachmann persist with this problem of the body retaining screws? I think I was lucky to remove mine. Once I replaced the body, I found it was secure enough with the fore and aft screws.
I would agree, if carefully handled, (only lifted by the central tank moulding) simply clipping the body on is enough. But the clips and fore and aft screws all attach to the fairly flexible plastic trays at either end that have the lighting assemblies on them. Robust handling from a younger owner might well cause damage if the main body screws are not used.
QUOTE ..rocks a little over double slips..
The arrangement Bach use for the bogies to support the main body casting, is a pair of curved plastic rails at the top of each bogie tower, on which a cast-in rib in the main block sits. This provides ample flexibility, but should also provide a stable level position. My example is fine, but there have been reports elsewhere of this model rocking, and even leaning outwards on curves at moderate speeds. I have seen this effect on a different model, and corrected it by the fairly brutal expedient of pushing the bogie ionto the body, and swivelling it through its' travel. That was on an occasion with no tools handy; the same could also be achieved by dropping the bogies out, and checking for any moulding or casting flash, which is interfering with the 'level' position.
QUOTE .. I hope the Deltic Pinza (with sound) is being brought up to this level of quality.
Regrettably (East Coast enthusiast writing) while I share the hope I doubt it. No competition...
QUOTE Just a point on Falcon, it was fitted with 2 x Maybach MD655 V-Type of 1,440 BHP engines. Equipping this with sound might find a use for the Deltic sound arrangement from Bachmann, if possible? Any thoughts, anybody?
No real likeness to the ever wonderful song of the Deltic. Someone is bound to offer sound (if not available now than at some point in the future) for the strange DH thing that operated on the branch line to Bristol which had the same engine combination, that is likely a better bet.

G

·
Hi All

It appears to be a good model let down by a few odd details. It has the class 57 rivetted windcreens along with the class 57 underframe. The bogies also feature class 57 pipework and no attempt at the upper brake rigging. Overall though all things that can pretty easily be fixed (if howes restock the Heljan 47 bogie/underframe sprue) and I hope we see a revamped 47 from Bachmann. Best 47 yet? Looks like it. Room for improvement? Yes

Cheers

Jim

·
In depth idiot
7,675 Posts
QUOTE (jim s-w @ 10 Sep 2007, 22:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.. It has the class 57 rivetted windcreens ..
While I found the rivets a little oversize (quickly corrected) visible rivets (haven't counted them!) are definitely right for the early Brush 4 like the D1500 model. By the time the Serck shutter fitted build commenced the window surround had a double beaded appearance with no rivets discernible.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yep have had to file off windscreen rivets , but this was a known error when purchased. However Heljan claim there 47 is not over width on the body! But with all four OO models on the track is there that much difference in size?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have just fitted a decoder to a blue Class 47 which also has the 21 pin arrangement. I experimented with the Bachmann 21-8 pin adapter, with a TCS DP2X-UK decoder attached. I had great difficulty getting the loco body back on, so I decided to use the new TCS EU621 21 pin decoder instead. There is not a lot of clearance between the top of the chassis and the body for the decoder to fit.

Phil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts