Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody
I have recently purchased a Bachmann cl 5 32-504,the rear of the cab is partly filled in on the bottom corners,I don't think this is a feature of the real loco,if so why have Bachmann done it like that.
Other than what I have just said,I very pleased with it,it runs very well,and is very well detailed.

All the best
from Morry.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Without looking at the catalogue, I'm guessing yours might be a model of the earlier batch of 5s with the handrails at the back of the cab doors - am I right?

Later production had no handrail at the rear of the cab doors and a shorter handrail attached to a small extension on the tender instead. Bachmann have modelled both variants.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi
Yes it has handrails at the rear of cab,but what I was refirring to was the triangluar pieces at the bottom rear corners of the cab (they are part of body moulding) also the rear end of cab floor is raised up,have Bachmann done this to strengthened the cab,I have never seen this arangement on any tender loco from Bachmann or Hornby, as the fireman would have trouble to swing his shovel !!!!!!!

From Morry.

·
Registered
555 Posts
A mine of useless information, I am.
The photo is of one of the first batch, with no handrails on the tenders. As SRman mentioned, later batches had conventional cab doors and the rear handrail on the tender, but with the fall plate still fixed to the cab. I'm not sure what the advantages of one over the other were. I've got one of those with the high-sided tender and very nice it is too. Far too clean though, it's going to get a good coat of Kingmoor grot.

Morry - the coal hole on the real tender (shovelling plate ? not sure of the correct term) poked through the dropped rear section so the fireman could get at it easily. The Bachmann model has the tender a little further away than the real one to allow it to get round 2nd radius curves.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi.
I dont think I saw any CL5s in my train spotting days,will have to have a look at some preserved ones.but it looked wrong to me,and thanks for all the information about it.

From Morry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts