Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a look at the Bachmann site today, which gives some details and photographs of a Class 66 Diesel and a variety of coal wagons. They look good, but will they be significantly better than the V2 with boiler skirts.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Dapol are also planning an N gauge Class 66 loco model.

There are images of their version on the Dapol website.

I suspect that why the Class 66 in such a popular model among N guage manufacturers is that they can release continental liveries in overseas markets, where the GM loco is being operated, as there are not the same issues with scale among N guage modellers overseas as there are among OO and HO modellers.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
521 Posts
Thanks Doug - I didn't mean to be bossy.

I am only just finding my way around and eventually happened to notice that

It could take some time for N to build up - we'll have to be patient.
It has to be difficult to know how many separate board to provide for such an enormously diverse hobby. Time will tell, but a 'natural feel' for me would be for N and Z to eventually share a single area and anything bigger than the most obviously popular HO/OO another.

In a sense I am not much help in that, although I have quite a lot of both N and HO, all my N gauge is Continental European, making me an even narrower niche! It's one of the 'problems' with the N Gauge Society in that there seems to be little for the Continental modeller. However, they have plenty else of interest there of course. It also doesn't stop me from taking a healthy interest in other gauges or areas.

On an upbeat note, it looks as though Dennis might be one of us (N Continental) and that must be a good thing. Maybe it will slowly develop as a gathering place for English speaking N gauge Europhiles.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
We actually did have N and Z set up at the start of this venture, but due to lack of activity, they were recently closed. As soon as there is demand, I'll open it up again and we can move any of these N-gauge posts in there. So keep posting - adding "N" to the subject (like you have been doing) to differentiate between other scales.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I think we should open it up again and have an N-Scale and Z - Scale together. I feel weird being lumped in with the Garden people.

Also where did this come from QUOTE as there are not the same issues with scale among N guage modellers overseas as there are among OO and HO modellers.
I'll try to hold my tongue but this makes no sense to me.

When is the last time this person has looked at Fleischmann or Minitrix examples? Dare I say made of die-cast and not plastic. True our models may have "those ugly pipes" but you can't have everything.

·
Registered
521 Posts
QUOTE I feel weird being lumped in with the Garden people.
I have to agree - the contrast is quite extreme!

Although people have done garden railways in N.

Re N gauge scale issues - it's actually a good scale at 1:160 . . . everywhere but UK, where I believe there is the same old OO type bodge of keeping the track at 9mm (1/160) and scaling everything else larger - 1/142 or some such crazy number which I actually can't remember. It could be 1/137 or almost anything - I mean who could or would want to remember a number like that!

EDIT
Just for the record, British N is actually 1/148 Scale which is why British N has to be called N Gauge and not N Scale!

·
Registered
521 Posts
QUOTE Can we refer to N-Scale rather than N-Gauge?
We CAN, but it actually isn't correct - sorry Dennis!

For the word 'scale' to be meaningfully unambiguous, it has to be a expressed numerically, not as a letter.
Scale can be expressed as a numeric ratio, like 1/148 or 1/160.
or in numeric units such as 2.1mm = 1 foot or 1.9mm = 1 foot,
although it has to be said that neither of those mm/foot scales accurately match the ratios used previously!

N absolutely specifically refers to the gauge between rails.
N stands for Neun (nine) millimetres gauge.
That 9mm figure was commercially established by Arnold in the early 1960s and has been maintained ever since.

As mentioned in a previous post, the scale actually varies.
The good old Brits use 1/148 (generally, but please read further down!)
and most everyone else uses 1/160.
To be more precise, 9mm gauge (N!) is actually a true scale of 1/159.46 so, although 1/160 is very close, and is quite commonly used interchageably, that still doesn't make it a scale - N remains a letter symbolizing Neun, Nine 9mm gauge

It may be mentioned that even the British N Gauge Society couldn't make up its mind about the SCALE and in its time has supported variations from an initial 1/148, changed to 1/152, changed back to 1/148 and changed back yet again to 1/148! There actually was another fly in the ointment that pre-dated N gauge and that was 'OOO Gauge'. It had a gauge that, during it's history, jumped around from a low of 8.25mm through both 9mm and 9.42mm, to a high of 9.5mm but amazingly, NOT in that logical order of progression. Its SCALE was (allegedly) constant at 1/152.4. I could refer readers to written souces for this info and fully intended to, but incredibly, even the most suthoritative of them are STILL littered with inconsistencies of 'Scale' and 'Gauge' and I don't aim to perpetuate it.

Unfortunately, the entire history of ralway modelling is riddled with similar anomalies between gauge and scale, most notably OO. But there are plenty of other scales where the gauge simply does not match the so-called scale and several scales may have been used for the one gauge or vice versa. On a positive, HO is a VERY good match of 16.5mm gauge with an accurate scale of 1/87, but the term 'HO' is still an alphabetical symbol, not a scale and this is the wrong board to beat that particular one to death anyway!

Also unfortunate is the fact that so many web sites like THIS Australian one that set out to demistify the confusion and actually get it completely and utterly WRONG, thus further perpetuating the confusion rather than clarifying anything. I probably shouldn't have put that link in either now I come to think of it - bound to regret it later!

So, to get right back on track (
), we can call it N gauge, we can call it 1/160 scale or we can call it 1/148 scale, but we can't call it 'N Scale'! . Well, to go back to the start of this missive, we CAN, but it's definitely not correct!

Here endeth the lesson!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts