Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Bachmann have now announced the price on their first British outline digital sound loco. It will be 159.70 Quid which is quite cheap for a digital sound loco. Continental and American sound locos tend to sell for about 200 quid. South West Digital are selling their sound decoders for 90 quid. So if the standard loco costs 73 -76 quid this means the sound decoder in the Bachmann loco is about the same cost.

It will undoubtedly sell for less at Hattons and Rails so it is a good introduction to the world of model rail sound.

It will be interesting to see how good the quality of the sound on this loco is when it's released. At the price there is no reason it shouldn't be as the decoder is in the same price bracket as Loksound. However I have heard rumours that the decoder is only capable of two digit addressing which indicates it may not be a Loksound one. So if it isn't whose is it?
As the Bachmann system is NMRA compatible there should be no compatibility problems. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
"It will be 159.70 Quid which is quite cheap for a digital sound loco"

Its still bloddy expensive!!

I remember jokeing when they announced them. someone said that they will be great and i jokingly said "not if there 150 nicker!"

I dont care what it does or how it sounds. that is a lot of money to spend on a hobby.

As you say it will be interesting to see how good it is. (2 digit adressing on a £160 loco?????????????)
No i will reserve criticism untill i actually see one.

Peter

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Only speculation, but I read on another site that it was an ESU sound decoder. ESU may have been working on other projects with Bachmann too....

I asked Bachmann for details, but they will not confirm or deny any rumour as per their policy on such matters. They will have a working model on display at the British Toy Fair in January.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Please forgive what may seem a stupid question, but will the sound work on standard DC layouts or only on digital DCC layouts?

I remember reading somewhere that some sound-equipped locos have basic sound when running on DC, and then more advanced & controllable features on DDC layouts.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE And yet, compared to some our hobby is quite cheap !

For example, cigarettes and whisky and wild wild women, however, that price doesn't seem too bad to me, after all I believe the Fleischmann sound 218 retails for around £200.00. Let's face it, if we want the goodies we are going to have to pay the extra.

Regards

John

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (dcroz @ 29 Nov 2006, 10:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Please forgive what may seem a stupid question, but will the sound work on standard DC layouts or only on digital DCC layouts?
I remember reading somewhere that some sound-equipped locos have basic sound when running on DC, and then more advanced & controllable features on DDC layouts.

The Fleischmann Factory Fitted sound locos I have (all ESU) all have a limited sound capability when running on DC.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Bachmann sound equiped 66 will retail for around £116.

a non sound loco can be had for new for around £56, plus £90 for swd chip, so the bachman one is about £30 cheaper. This may mean it sounds £30 cheaper too though!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does anyone actually know if it is an ESU or not

Why go to the bother of recording your own sounds when you can buy one off the shelf.
I would buy one for £120, I think it's worth it, depending on how good the sound is. The other question I would have is, Is there any room left for an Express Models lighting kit

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE Bachmann sound equiped 66 will retail for around £116.

Where from? I'd have one no problems at that price.

Initially I thought this was a good price the 160 but thinking about it if the loco is 75 quid in the first place this allows an extra 85 quid for the sound decoder. Now Loksound decoders sell for 90 Euros from Modellbahn Kramm which is 60 quid so if I can buy a sound decoder fro 60 quid Bachmann will be able to buy them in bulk for a lot less so I think 120 -130 quid top end is nearer the mark.

I'll probably get one anyway unless it's a QSI decoder. If it's Loksound I definitely will.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Bugger the price
it sould have been the Deltic first. A 66 has no form just a shapeless mess of a cad designed box on wheels. A Deltic has form , nice flowing lines like a sheila should have

As for the soundecoder. Well I would expect it to be a Loksound as SW Digital seems to have done the bulk of the work on reproduceing British diesel sound in miniature. But that said the Loksound decoder is more expensive than the Soundtraxx Tsunami and Bachmann US are using the Tsunami in their range of US steam locos. Soundtraxx used to do an "L1" tank engine in the old DSD-150 range and I still have a couple that I'm going to be fitting to a couple of BR Q1's as there's plenty of room in the tender for a speaker and decoder. QSI diesel sound is funnily enough a lot better than their steam sound, motor control is still below standard, which is why my remaining QSI equipped steam locos have had their QSI boards tossed in the bin and replaced by Tsunami's.

Well I'm off to the shops to see if anything decent has arrived. A blue Princess Coronation would make an excellent splash of colour.

ozzie21

QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 30 Nov 2006, 07:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Where from? I'd have one no problems at that price.

Initially I thought this was a good price the 160 but thinking about it if the loco is 75 quid in the first place this allows an extra 85 quid for the sound decoder. Now Loksound decoders sell for 90 Euros from Modellbahn Kramm which is 60 quid so if I can buy a sound decoder fro 60 quid Bachmann will be able to buy them in bulk for a lot less so I think 120 -130 quid top end is nearer the mark.

I'll probably get one anyway unless it's a QSI decoder. If it's Loksound I definitely will.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE A blue Princess Coronation would make an excellent splash of colour

I'm hanging out for one of these too. I regret not buying one with the coaches a couple of years back when they were available. I put a Lenz Gold decoder in my maroon one last weekend so It's good it's operational again.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Most model shops I find don't sell stuff at the RRP so your probably looking at £90/100 for this loco and rearly its not bad value as an aftermarket sound system for a 66 can cost £100+ on its own.

Then you have to fit it which can be very frustrating and possibly damaging to the body shell of the model.

Some people moaned when the Class 50 / 60 came out about the price but we have all got used to it and people will with this.

It would of been three times this cost if they had released it a few years ago and then everyone would of been complaining about incorrect sounds and "£600 for one Loco".

We don't a bad deal in the UK we just don't just to change very well.

Pete

1 - 20 of 55 Posts