Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard when the Bachmann sound equipped Deltics might be released and what they might cost.
If I'm going to buy a powered boxcar a Deltic and Western would most likley be the only ones. A close second would be a Hymek , Warship and a Brush A1A.

Ozzie21

·
Registered
763 Posts
I get the impression that bachmann don't know themselves as a look on their website shows that most annoying of abbreviations POA. Maybe you should ask them. lOoking on their website it would appear they haven't got much coming through for a few months apart from a few wagons and a couple of locos.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think the most annoying thing to come of this loco is that it will not have working directional lights, have Bachmann totally lost the plot!! why have sound and no working lights?( the mind boggles), as for the price a southwest digital decoder is £110.00 so its gotta be around the £160 mark(ouch!!).

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE I think the most annoying thing to come of this loco is that it will not have working directional lights, have Bachmann totally lost the plot!!

How do you know it wont have lights?
This seems to be a step forward and another backward.

I was going to buy this item when it came out but if it doesn't have directional lights I wouldn't consider it. I have a big enough list of old locos needing modified and upgraded without buying new ones that need work done on them.

160 quid isn't bad for a sound equipped loco. Most of the German and American ones will be 200 quid if you buy them from Germany or the USA or 3-400 quid if you buy them in the UK.

Oh, and these will have directional lighting as standard.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By directional lights do you mean the auto function or independant control. If they are using an ESU decoder as a base then directional or independant control of the lights is a given as it is part of the decoders normal operation. Even the elcheapo, blue box, US Bachmann models have auto lights so you would think that the same would apply to the British models. I also had a look a t the South West models DCC site but I couldn't listen to any of their sound files. Has anyone heard their soundfiles?

Ozzie21

QUOTE (37197 @ 15 Apr 2006, 04:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think the most annoying thing to come of this loco is that it will not have working directional lights, have Bachmann totally lost the plot!! why have sound and no working lights?( the mind boggles), as for the price a southwest digital decoder is £110.00 so its gotta be around the £160 mark(ouch!!).

·
Registered
763 Posts
None of the bachmann deltics have lights so not having them won't be a step backwards merely a continuation of a somewhat bewildering policy on the part of bachmann. Personally I think it was a hastily announced idea designed to counter the hornby DCC program. Lets face it they don't even make all their new releases DCC ready so I can't see them suddenly switching to fitting lights to a model that never had them before.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have spoken to a few retailers regarding if it will have directional lighting and what has come out so far is a resounding no!, like you say a step forward in terms of sound but as spongebob says they have never had lights and it's just a continuation of a bewildering policy, hopefully they may reconsider (but don't count on it we are talking about bachmann) as it seems mindless for it to have sound and no lights!.

As for Southwest Digital sound decoders I can Highly recommend them they are superb, at the mo I have a 37, 47 and 66 with sound and soon to be purchasing the new 50 decoder(cant wait!).

If you want to hear some loco's with sound please follw this link: Doncaster

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
So is it only the Deltic which doesn't have directional lighting or do none of the forthcoming Diesels with DCC sound have directional lighting?
I just assumed they would have this as their DMU's have it. I would have thought the class 66 had it as it's quite recent.
If they don't it is probably a better idea to buy a Hornby loco and fit a SouthWest digital decoder to it!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Couple of months ago I contacted Bachmann about working lights for the Deltic and was told that specifications for the Deltic had not yet been decided

My LHS contacted Bachmann and was told from a voice on high that there would be no working lights on the Deltic

I looked at the Bachmann 2006 Catalogue and noted that on page 49 under model 32-525DS ( Deltic with sound) the model will feature "working lights"

I placed an order with my LHS for a 32-525DS on the strict condition that I take the model only if it has "working lights" as per the Catalogue description.

Just waiting now to see what materialises.........

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't see anthing about sound on their website but then again I was looking for two green deltics. Maybe I should put my glasses on and have another look

Ozzie21

QUOTE (folkestonekeith @ 16 Apr 2006, 04:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Couple of months ago I contacted Bachmann about working lights for the Deltic and was told that specifications for the Deltic had not yet been decided

My LHS contacted Bachmann and was told from a voice on high that there would be no working lights on the Deltic

I looked at the Bachmann 2006 Catalogue and noted that on page 49 under model 32-525DS ( Deltic with sound) the model will feature "working lights"

I placed an order with my LHS for a 32-525DS on the strict condition that I take the model only if it has "working lights" as per the Catalogue description.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Well if you read back through the history of some of these threads the announcement seemed to be made with some decisions seemingly last minute inclusions and finalisations. They haven't even decided on prices for the lound equipped loco's so as you say best to wait(and wait and wait) to see what they finally decide to inflict on us.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not knowing what the current UK prices are on the likes of a Bachmann Deltic and ESU Loksound decoder are here is a quick conversion from Oz$ to UKpounds. A Deltic retails for Oz$200 or 83UKpounds and an ESU loksound decoder for OZ$175 or 72Ukpounds. I'm chasing down two green Deltics at $150 ea and I've ordered a sound equipped one. I'm just hoping that if SW digital have recorded the sound that they did it from the outside the engine compartment and not the inside. Soundtraxx did this on a couple of there diesel decoders and you hear plenty of engine noise but very little exhaust sound. Made it confusing as I knew what an EMD 645e sounded like but theres was very different till I found out why. Oh and how does a Hornby 37 compare to Bachmann 37 and these would be green locos so I'd guess pre1967 corporate blue?

Ozzie21

QUOTE (spongebob @ 16 Apr 2006, 20:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well if you read back through the history of some of these threads the announcement seemed to be made with some decisions seemingly last minute inclusions and finalisations. They haven't even decided on prices for the lound equipped loco's so as you say best to wait(and wait and wait) to see what they finally decide to inflict on us.

·
Registered
139 Posts
QUOTE (folkestonekeith @ 15 Apr 2006, 19:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Couple of months ago I contacted Bachmann about working lights for the Deltic and was told that specifications for the Deltic had not yet been decided

Yep you're right, just looked through it and it does state in the catalogue that it will feature working light's, confused or what
, talk about conflicting reports
. Its a shame theres no domino headcode version as well, oh well may be one for 2007, sorry 2010 this is Bachmann!!.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Ozzie.
The hornby class 37 is prehistoric compared to the bachmann version. The bogies are from a class 47 so are totally wrong, the body looks too chunky in terms of detailing and lets not forget the ringfield drive. In spite of its body inaccuracies the bachmann gets my vote followed by the lima one. Even the latest paint jobs can't mask its age.

I see what you mean about the deltic having working lights according to the catalogue. It also states that the new cut away buffer cowled 37/0's will too althought the pictures appear to be painted on(though as usual they are probably mock-ups)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unless you are modelling a preserved Deltic on the main line with a fitted headlight, I don't think the lack of lights is too worrying. The central box on this class and others - 20's,25,26,27,31,37,40,47,50-was hardley bright enough to be seen except when dark. I wonder if they will model a headlight fitted Deltic. The purple Porterbrook one would be nice.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm surprised no one has done 9016 in purple yet as a limited edition. Matbe a sign of what people thought of the real thing, although I didn't find it too offensive. As for lights maybe they could borrow the heljan lighting as that can barely be seen even in the dark!

·
Registered
139 Posts
QUOTE (spongebob @ 16 Apr 2006, 19:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm surprised no one has done 9016 in purple yet as a limited edition. Matbe a sign of what people thought of the real thing, although I didn't find it too offensive. As for lights maybe they could borrow the heljan lighting as that can barely be seen even in the dark!

umm, not sure on the purple
, but it's green now and would certainly be a deffo on my list
, but I can't see it being commercially viable for Bachmann, with it being the only one of it's class with wipac lights

1 - 20 of 61 Posts