Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Bachmann Collectors' Club limited edition Class 20 locomotive in Waterman Railways livery has sold out. The model (Catalogue No. 32-026K) of No. 20188, depicted the locomotive as it ran during 1994 - 1996 and later in preservation.

The run of 504 models was announced in the Autumn 2007 edition of the Bachmann Collectors' Club magazine which was published on 30th July.

Dennis Lovett, Public Relations Manager said "the Class 20 has proved to be a popular choice and like all recent Bachmann Collectors' Club limited edition models it has sold out very quickly".

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hah found one, that didn't take long. 130146353974
Always popular the collectors club models now they've cottoned onto the fact that oddball liveries sell better than normal ones with a different number.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Recent collector club models are fetching big money when they turn up for sale. I have seen several change hands for in excess of £200 with a Bachmann Black Prince going for £450 at a recent auction. I'm not talking eBay but proper auctions like those you see on the TV where you have to raise your hand. No doubt this Class 20 will join the ranks of highly sought after models.

My tip would be to join the Bachmann collector club and put your name down for every model Bachmann offer to their club members!

I know many of us are anti speculator however given the track record of Bachmann club models it seems daft not to participate in something that can help to contribute towards the cost of the hobby and more fool those who are willing to pay the big money a few months down the line!

And shock horror should you be one of those who actually wants to run the model then you do have something rather special!

Note it is a collector club and we all know what this means in reality so live and let live! I honestly don't know why Bachmann seem to feel they should get involved in the politics. They should simply offer a model up for sale to collector club members and announce when it is sold out as they have done in the case of this Waterman Class 20. Job done. And if you don't receive a model because it has been oversubscribed then tough! Think of all those share privatisations in the Thatcher years. Nobody moaned then when we were allocated just 100 shares when we requested 10000! Thats life. Unlike institutions offering shares, Bachmann basically are not in a position to start cutting locomotives in half!

Happy modelling
Gary

PS I do strongly tip those new Bachmann Irish models to be as collectable as recent club models and at £80 they may proove to be something of a bargain!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Bachmann do seem to better than Hornby at selecting the kind of collectors items that will sell and of course thats just what they are to some - collectors items. Bachmann are doing the right thing business wise and playing to the gallery. However they might begin to realise that they could have sold this model for at least £10 more and it still would have sold out !!

I write this as I gaze at my Class 20 which I might just run when I build my layout.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE I honestly don't know why Bachmann seem to feel they should get involved in the politics. They should simply offer a model up for sale to collector club members and announce when it is sold out as they have done in the case of this Waterman Class 20. Job done.

If it helps Bachmann to make profits, some of which are reinvested in new models, it's all fine by me; I can't afford to keep them in business by myself.

David

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE Bachmann do seem to better than Hornby at selecting the kind of collectors items that will sell

Agreed. Hornby collector club models are far too mainstream and are simply limited runs of standard mainline locos. Long may Bachmann be inventive in this regard.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
342 Posts
I let my collectors club memebership lapse but i work on the golden rule that I don't buy anything unless it suits my needs and the collectors club have yet to offer anything that i would want personally I just don't believe in profiteering it is another form of usury

that is my personal philosophy and in no way a direct criticism of anyone else

·
Registered
267 Posts
My dad very kindly ordered me one of these ... It was a nice suprise on friday getting a call to say that it has arrived.

I wonder if there are any for sale yet in the collectors world which consist of both of the waterman 20s (This one and the on they did for the Toy Fair a few years ago)?

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
QUOTE (bangerblueed @ 25 Aug 2007, 14:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I let my collectors club memebership lapse but i work on the golden rule that I don't buy anything unless it suits my needs and the collectors club have yet to offer anything that i would want personally I just don't believe in profiteering it is another form of usury

that is my personal philosophy and in no way a direct criticism of anyone else

Couldn't agree more.
I did once buy two Bachmann A1s at really silly cheap prices once with the intention of selling one on, however after a couple of months of not doing anything about selling one I just renamed it and kept it myself. And my brother and I did buy all the Airfix 61xx and 4Fs of a guy at a swapmeet who was selling all his stock and calling it a day as trader and then went and sold them to another trader we knew for half as much again. But that was purely in order to get a knock down price on a couple of the locos that we actually wanted, the trader we sold them on to quickly sold them on as well making a little profit for himself so nobody was taken for a ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts