Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Those who operate DCC with the Bachmann EZ-Command control unit will appreciate being able to purchase a loco with a chip already fitted. It keeps things very simple.

Bachmann have a sizable EZ-Command user base in the UK as their DCC sets have been very successful. In fact there are very probably more folk using EZ-Command than any other DCC system right now! Lets not knock the "keep it simple and cheap approach" taken by Bachmann as it has converted large numbers to DCC.

The price difference between a chipped and standard loco is between £9 and £12 depending on the model and for the average UK modeller operating a few locos at a time on their DCC layout this is something of a bargain. The 4 digit argument does not wash with the new breed of budget DCC operators and it is easier to remember 2 digits!

Have we all forgotten that one of the big barriers to entry into the DCC world for nearly all modellers was the cost of chipping a collection. This is no longer an issue with budget chips being "as cheap as chips"!

Chips that are removed for any reason can be sold on so they are not redundant.

The locomotives with chips fitted no doubt will be produced in limited numbers so they are likely to be the more collectable in years to come and hold their residual values better. This should not be overlooked by collectors.

One final thought.

Is the typical buyer of a Bachmann off the shelf loco with a chip fitted the sort of technically gifted modeller who is going to fit additional DCC accessories within the loco when they don't want to remove the body in the first place?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
I was at the Warley Model Railway Club this week and the concensus was that the British railway modeller broadly does not need DCC as Brit layouts at home generally are small. There are hardly any British exhibition layouts operating with DCC according to the boys at Warley.

The Brits are not interested in the operational side of things like the Americans. The Brits are seriously interested in subjects that invoke memories of "how it was" and as a result we are considered to be the best modellers in the world and that is where our main interest lies as a nation. Hence we have the largest percentage of scratchbuilders as a nation. We have the richest heritage of modelling subjects in the whole world and we enjoy taking advantage of this.

Only a very very small minority of British modellers are prepared to invest big money into DCC it would seem.

Only if the outlay is similar to that required for a top end analogue control system will the great masses of British modellers (who, lets be honest about it, don't right now visit online forums) consider DCC.

Hornby and Bachmann get feedback from tens of thousands of "ordinary" modellers every year.

If the moves Hornby and Bachmann are making at the budget end is what is required to get the British (and European?) modelling masses involved with DCC then lets all welcome this!

Lets not talk of purchases of Hornby and Bachmann product being a false economy. For 99% of modellers who invest in these systems they will be the only systems they ever need!

Happy modelling
Gary

PS I don't use the word "ordinary" in the context of meaning "average". I use the word in the context of those who don't right now visit forums.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
QUOTE How true and also sad that is

Huh! Its whatever floats your boat at the end of the day.

How does this type of talk do anything to enhance the image of railway modelling as a hobby?

My teenage kids say I am "sad" however they quickly change their tune when it comes to "lending" them money! I then claim that they are "sad" when they advise me how their newfound wealth is going to be spent!

Its a bit weird though hearing it from a fellow hobbyist.

Be honest. Smelly diesel or smelly steam?
(Not sure that electric has a smell?)

Which has more appeal to all generations?

The real point here is that railway modelling is the most diverse hobby in the world requiring participants to have an infinite collection of skills. There is absolutely nothing wrong in modelling 21st centuary German or 20th centuary British or 19th centuary American. And there is absolutely nothing wrong in using DC or DCC control. Nobody should feel obligated to model a certain theme using certain control systems simply becuase to do otherwise is not cool.

To be honest Neil I am surprised at your view as you always strike me as being very level headed on matters.

Have you been on the old Aussie nectar!

QUOTE In a few years most train-sets will end up as DCC, and every Hornby dealer will have Select and Elite systems for sale.
The new entrants will have DCC before they even hear of Peco, Gaugemaster, EM gauge or DJH etc.

Now we are beginning to understand. Its a generation shift and Hornby and Bachmann have to move with the times to encourage the parents of the games console fanatics to look at alternative pastimes. Hence the thinking behind the new Hornby Pendo.

If by chance the old breed of modeller set in their ways takes an interest in the new budget DCC kit then that is a bonus.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Re: Warley

I do not represent Warley but I did chat with them about this very subject. My mission was to do with something else altogether. The answers are my own based on personal experience and my little chat.

QUOTE overpriced

The exceptional trade offers more than make up for the £2 or so extra entry fee and the NEC do charge an arm and a leg for the 3 days (1 day setting up). Shows 25% the size charge £6 so really Warley has to be good value on a pro rata basis.

QUOTE overcrowded

Those who don't like crowds can always turn up on the Sunday however the traders exceptional trade offers are usually all gone by Saturday night so if your aim is to get a good deal on something then really it does have to be Saturday.

QUOTE cannot be bothered to answer enquiries from prospective traders

Unless traders drop out they seem fully booked until 2009. Warley do say on their website that traders are allowed in by "invitation only" and generally it seems that existing traders get first refusal and no one ever refuses!

I think Warley gives those traders present a chance to clear the shelves of slow selling lines to make way for the 2007 goodies.

I wonder what discounts there will be on Bachmann and Hornby Digital at the 2007 Warley Show!

Only joking folks! There won't be any available as it will all be sold out!

Will MRF cope with 100,000 members all discussing Hornby and Bachmann digital?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
QUOTE I did it for about 60 quid with the Roco Lokmaus.

The Roco Lokmaus offers 2 digit addressing, is not readily available in the UK, and seems even more basic than the Bachmann EZ-Command. The Bachmann chip seems ideal for this system!

I do wish the DCC experts would encourage and nurture the new interest in DCC and support the efforts of Bachmann and Hornby whose budget value systems have encouraged modellers to think aboiut the move to DCC.

What we do get from the experts it appears is constant criticsm of the efforts of Hornby and Bachmann and comment that the system that the experts own is the best. For them it may be.

So what if I have 100 locomotives?

I am only going to run a few at a time on a small layout with maybe 4 or 5 points. I will never run all 100 and don't need mega systems. As a Brit I simply do not have the space and why should I spend mega money on a mega system when many of the features I am paying for are totally redundant and will never be used!

I believe Bachmann and Hornby understand this and are offering value products designed with the Brits in mind.

Whatever, as a DCC newbee living in the UK its the budget products from Bachmann and Hornby that interest me and I suspect there are many like me who feel the same way.

Happy modelling
Gary

PS Neil, sorry about the missunderstanding about the ""sad" comment however you did link it to your running 21st Centuary German kit so you will appreciate why I took it the way I did. In saying that if the Brits wish to continue modelling using traditional methods then there is absolutely nothing wrong with that!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.