Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to speculation on various web forums, Bachmann have clarified the type of decoder to be factory fitted to forthcoming releases.

The recently announced 3 function decoder with Back EMF (2 digit addressing only) is indeed the fitted item!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also agree.
Graham Plowman (gppsoftware) is "sounding off" about this elsewhere.

The best course of action is "consumer power", but how many will buy them regardless?

I would have thought DCC fitted loco's would be the "flagship" of the range.
2 digit addressing and only 3 functions hardly signals that!

The best hope is that Hornby will clearly out do that when they launch their own fitted loco's (maybe 2007?).
Competition is the best "kick up the backside"

Now let's see, Individually operating tail-lights, remote switching between daylight and night time running lights, proper working fan (ie. when stationary too), remote coupling/uncoupling......

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 6 Sep 2006, 23:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Non standard DCC (IE does not fully conform to NMRA standards- such as they are) is condeming the purchasers to a tied arrangement...

... I had in mind to buy a Hornby Elite just for my study shunting plank, but now I've decided it will be a Digitrax Zephur, .... and fitting in nicely with my existing Digitrax equipment.
Ermm! Digitrax, isn't that going for the "tied arrangement"?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (Gary @ 6 Sep 2006, 22:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bachmann have a sizable EZ-Command user base in the UK as their DCC sets have been very successful. In fact there are very probably more folk using EZ-Command than any other DCC system right now!Although Bachmann have sold a lot of EZ-Command units in the UK, I doubt these are in the majority. Their sales of Train-sets are only a small fraction of Hornby's sales here, and many adult modellers would have heard or read the advice given by others and opted for a more capable "budget" system.
Soon, Hornby sales of DCC will completely overshadow every other make in the UK market.

QUOTE (Gary @ 6 Sep 2006, 22:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The 4 digit argument does not wash with the new breed of budget DCC operators and it is easier to remember 2 digits!The "new breed" as you put it, will not have to remember 2 or 4 digits. The newer systems are coming with Alpha-numeric capability, where you can write your own name for each loco.

QUOTE (Gary @ 6 Sep 2006, 22:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The locomotives with chips fitted no doubt will be produced in limited numbers so they are likely to be the more collectable in years to come and hold their residual values better.Logically they should be more valuable anyway, regardless of collectability. They come better equipped than the non-DCC fitted version!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (Gary @ 7 Sep 2006, 09:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was at the Warley Model Railway Club this week and the concensus was that the British railway modeller broadly does not need DCC as Brit layouts at home generally are small. There are hardly any British exhibition layouts operating with DCC according to the boys at Warley.Was this then followed by repeated loud chanting of "CLIVE GREEDUS......CLIVE GREEDUS....CLIVE GREEDUS......" ????

QUOTE (Gary @ 7 Sep 2006, 09:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Only a very very small minority of British modellers are prepared to invest big money into DCC it would seem.

Only if the outlay is similar to that required for a top end analogue control system will the great masses of British modellers (who, lets be honest about it, don't right now visit online forums) consider DCC.
Well that's all going to change, prices are tumbling and DCC is about to go mass market.

QUOTE (Gary @ 7 Sep 2006, 09:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hornby and Bachmann get feedback from tens of thousands of "ordinary" modellers every year.

Hornby and Bachmann know what they need to do!
Agree, these manufacturers don't invest loads of money and energy without looking at the potential market and assessing the risks.
They are going DCC because that's where the model and toy train markets are heading.
Frankly, as "toys", model trains have fallen from favour and the product needs freshening up to attract new custom.

There will be a very large proportion of older modellers who will never switch and they probably don't need to, but increasing numbers of new entrants will choose DCC when they see what is available to them
In a few years most train-sets will end up as DCC, and every Hornby dealer will have Select and Elite systems for sale.
The new entrants will have DCC before they even hear of Peco, Gaugemaster, EM gauge or DJH etc.

It may be a case of the Warley "boys" understanding the traditional model railway club scene, but not understanding the RTR model railway market.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
QUOTE (Ravenser @ 8 Sep 2006, 09:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Hornby Select will cost about £70 for the system (undiscounted - what certain box shifters will actually sell it for, I don't know)Despite the previously announced price rise, the "box shifters" are still offering the Elite for between £90 and £ 95. My local dealer reconds he'll sell it for £92.
The Select is around £45 to £50 .

QUOTE (Ravenser @ 8 Sep 2006, 09:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Roco Lokmaus 2 is certainly much better than the current Bachmann EZ system (99 addresses not 10, moderate programming , and control of 4 functions not one ). But as Gary points out you can't walk into a shop and buy a Lokmaus - Roco only ever sold it as part of a set , so you've got to start buying on ebay from Germany to get one as a system.There are Roco dealers in the UK who sell the Start-sets, some sold the DCC system separately.
Academic now as the vastly superior MultiMouse has replaced that model.
Buying from Germany via the on-line shopping is no different to buying from Hattons or Rails. There are non of the hassles of buying from the USA.

QUOTE (Ravenser @ 8 Sep 2006, 09:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I can see retailers breaking sets and selling train and Select separately, I can see the set appealing to modern image modellers as a conversion pack- "buy a Pendolino and get a cheap DCC system as a bonus", and I can see Selects appearing on the second hand market from sets.Cheapest way to get a MultiMouse, buy the set and split it. Could cost you as little as £25 to £40 for the DCC stuff!

QUOTE (Ravenser @ 8 Sep 2006, 09:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Its also worth pointing out that until recently DCC was almost an underground movement in the UK , with very little advertising beyond "we sell Lenz" "we offer Digitrax", and very few retailers actually stocking the stuff. Now the likes of Bachmann, Hornby and Gaugemaster are involved you can walk into almost any model shop and find some DCC - increasingly more than one company's DCC productsSoon every Hornby dealer will be selling DCC equipment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.