Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
nickb
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/style...cons/icon14.gif
I have just bought the Cl 47 Hadrian with DCC sound factory fitted by Bachmann. (The motor drive is superb)
Per the comments made in the press about the volume (CV63), it is too loud.
I am however, experiencing significant difficulty making changes, and in fact reading any CV values with the Elite unit, Firmware V1.0. It is almost like there is a lock on all settings. I have read thru the manual on the Bachmann website (in fact, an ESU Loksound document) with no luck.
Given all the users on this forum, can anyone help me? Thanks in anticipation.
All the functions work when activiated by the Elite; ie F1, F2 etc, so there are no 'operational' issues - just can't seem to program using either the Direct method or Paged method. I have only tried programming though, when connected from the main track supplies. Perhaps I should try the programming track outlets?

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Use a programing track wired into the programming track connections and then use direct mode to read and write CV63 in accordance with the Elite instructions.

Operations mode is used when programming locos on the main track, not direct or paged mode.

Write a value of around 20 to CV63 using the programming track. You will hear clicks as the decoder is written to. Then place the loco on the main track and hear the difference in sound levels.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
nickb
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary

Thanks for your response - in fact, a couple of hours after I logged the request for assistance, it dawned on me what I had not done! It all works perfectly. In fact, when the change has been made, the horn on the loco blasts to indicate the new sound level. Very clever.

Instructions were missing from the box, so I downloaded from the Bachmann website - note, the manual that you get in pdf format is straight ESU loksound, no mention of Bachmann Branchline at all.

Thanks for feeding back an answer so quickly - at least i know there is at least one real Elite user on the site!

regards

Nick

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
If you read this Nick from one user to another how are you getting on now that you have had your Elite for a week or two?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
50 Posts
I must say I am a little disapointed with the quality of the sound on my 47, it seems muffled and lacks ......
depth, not a patch on my 20!, i must get a decent power unit and have a play with the cv values and see if this helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
QUOTE (Tonyperks @ 1 Oct 2007, 08:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I must say I am a little disapointed with the quality of the sound on my 47, it seems muffled and lacks ......
depth, not a patch on my 20!, i must get a decent power unit and have a play with the cv values and see if this helps., some thing else my 47 dosent seem to have the buffing or the coupling noises present or do we lose these in favour of the power up/ down

·
nickb
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Gary,

I have the Elite from first shipment into Hattons. Excepting some irrating software glitches on the second control knob, absolutely great. I admist that I prefer the smooth dial feel of the Select unit, but I am getting used to the knobly feel on the Elite. Having the train's names is excellent. I have around 20 Hornby decoders, and 12 Bachmanns, the 3 function type. Also the EDU of course in Hadrian. No issues at all. I have a select connected using the Hornby cable and only issue is when stop button is pressed you have to go back to the Elite to clear. I have told Hornby about this so await changes. Hornby should have added the ability to read the number, and set V max on the basic chip - and charged another 50p or £1. The accel/decell function is all that is required. once you have set it, you never change it! The performance is amazing - all my locos drive so quietly and smoothly, even my old ringfields and performance has never been so good. I have one accessory decoder - works great. Am in the process of expanding this area. My layout is very big - 24 feet by 13 feet with 4 huge circuits in a U shape. Power not an issue, and the whole lot is connect with 2 wires into a standard Hornby power connector, and the layout made live by Hornby point clips. I continue to be amazed at reading about all the droppers people are adding. Why? My Zero One was exactly the same! Two wires and job done. I have found the Heljan Cl 47, when pulling 8 or 9 wagons can stall ie overload, with both the Hornby and Bachmann decoders - suggests that they really do need a 1amp motor output. I think I might try a ZTC Diamond or whatever they are called. Sum up, glad I waited for the Hornby system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts