Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Its interesting that Bachmann seem to deliver the technology very soon after any announcement and take their time with the models. Hornby deliver the models and take their time with the technology.

If the whole Dynamis system is £90 then it is an absolute bargain. It will be another Nintendo Wii. The wireless technology seems to be associated with a Pro package and that price has yet to be revealed so the actual package with everything may be more. Does anybody know any different on this?

I wonder what sort of age group Dynamis will appeal to?

The control pad has a lot of small buttons and a small screen which seems to display small characters.

Contrast this with the Hornby Elite with its bigger buttons (two traditional knobs suggesting the control of two locomotives at a time) and characters.

Older modellers the Elite?

Younger modellers Dynamis?

Isn't it great that the whole world is suddenly looking and taking notice at what the British are being offered DCC wise.

Who would have thought that Britain would be a DCC hotbed 2 years ago!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I have come away from the London Toy Fair very impressed with both units. I would suggest that others who have visited the London Toy Fair will have been equally impressed.

Dynamis is wireless and Elite has a computer and internet interface built into its basic spec which enables you to use Railroad and other PC software and to accept downloads.

Elite does enable you to control the speed of 2 independent locomotives concurently and definitely has 4 digit addressing and can definitely read addresses as well as write.

Dynamis is a 100% British concept and has had absolutely no input from Bachmann USA. Bachmann USA are interested in offering the product for sale within the USA.

They are two entirely different products with different capabilities.

Both products are state of the art with one based around ESU concepts and one based around Lenz concepts. With an appropriate adapter and providing you purchase a Dynamis Pro unit both should be able to talk to each other and operate alongside each other!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Neil. Have you been to the London Toy Fair and spoken with Bachmann and Hornby?

Bachmann UK/Europe will certainly take issue with your comments and so will Hornby UK. Yes both companies have partners and the concepts are British. Everybody at Bachmann nodded when I expressed surprise and sought further confirmation of this. If the Brits put the work in and sign off the design then its British. You cannot use a trademark unless you have permission and Hornby have a relationship with Lenz as they use the Lenz trademark in their marketing material.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
In terms of Britishness if I as a Brit have a some of money and come up with an idea for which I invest £££ not €€€ then irrespective of where the manufacturer or design is sourced if I am paying and I am signing off the work and I am based in the UK then I am offering a product that is British. Bachmann UK may have been given some money to play with by its overseas owner as they liked the idea and were prepared to back Britain!

Am I right or wrong?

In terms of Hornby and Lenz when you talk to these guys you get a certain impression from body language and how things are said. The distinct impression I am left with, rightly or wrongly, is that there has been a liason with Lenz throughout the design process. What the precise arrangements are no one knows as that is confidential. Hornby are out to offer something new to a new customer who formerly would not consider DCC by Lenz or anybody else. I sense that Hornby are not after the Lenz market and that actually Lenz will benefit as a result of the new influx of DCC users.

Again, rightly or wrongly, this is the impression.

Both Hornby and Bachmann will be launching their respective products to the European market at the German Toy Fair.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Hi Peter. How are you matey? Don't laugh when you see the London Toy Fair gallery.

One issue with Dynamis is that when you look down to view the control pad in your hand you end up with a double chin that does not look that flattering when you are photographed by Dennis Lovett from Bachmann!

This could be an issue with any handheld device!

Dennis Lovett and Simon Kohler are much more photogenic!

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.