Model Railway Forum banner

BACHMANN DYNAMIS V HORNBY ELITE

11K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  Oakydoke 
My Wangrow System One which is 10 yrs old can handle 6 locos at one time on one throttle, you can daisy chain 24 throttles but you need two boosters, has 9999 loco addresses , 1015 accessory addresses with macros, PC interface, wireless through CVP, can read/write on the main and prog track and is upgradeable via the eprom change out. The only thing it can't do is use the the extra 6 functions that have come about in the last couple of years. Hornby have a lot of catching up to do. Mind you as good and reliable as it is I'd sell for a Zimo unit , 5 digit addressing

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Gary @ 28 Jan 2007, 15:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Elite does enable you to control the speed of 2 independent locomotives concurently and definitely has 4 digit addressing and can definitely read addresses as well as write.

Happy modelling
Gary

Yes that's fine but when you have numerous locos, like 7 A-1's, 15black fives, and so on 5 digit addressing comes into it's own. Names are fine but like all things you can run out of characters.
Ozzie 21

QUOTE (Oakydoke @ 29 Jan 2007, 01:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What advantage is there to having 5 digit addressing?

Other than enabing you to address more locos and devices (do you really need that many?), I can't think of any other reason?

If it's to choose an address that corresponds with a loco number, then that's now surpased by the availability of systems with a loco naming feature.
You can input whatever alpha-numeric name you like, subject to the number of characters available.
e.g. the Hornby Select allows 8 characters, the Bachmann Dynamis 12 characters and the Roco MultiMaus 5 characters. There are other systems with this feature too.

Each throttle can control up to six locos at one time as it remembers the last six requested. Sure your fingers can do a dance but can get quite adept at it.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Mark Thornton @ 28 Jan 2007, 22:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Gary means the Elite has two knobs which you could use (left and right hands) to simultaneously change the speed of two locos. I don't think your system has 6 knobs (or that you have the appropriate number of hands either).

Yes I quite like that feature as well. A DCC version of AWS without the siren.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (dwb @ 28 Jan 2007, 23:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>>I'd sell for a Zimo unit
The Zimo feature I like is the track side units which transmit speed information to the locos so that if you go past a caution signal for example, the loco will respond and slow down.

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.