Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While on a trip to UK recently I couldn't resist buying the new N 45611 Hong Kong. There is a bag of bits with it: a tender wheel set without tyres, pipes for fore & aft and - ? a complete front bogie with larger wheels - why? and what are the four other plastic mouldings for? Who can clear me up? (Doors and drain cocks would have been nice.)
Incidentally, removing one axle with wheels with tyres for one without tyres is a bit of a joke, I reckon then it wouldn't pull itself up an incline. I have removed the DCC plug and soldered a decoder in, the space saved is filled with lead. In all I mangaed to increase the weight of the tender by about 50%. A cast tender would have been better.
Norm.

·
In depth idiot
7,681 Posts
QUOTE (enby @ 9 Nov 2008, 22:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>..a complete front bogie with larger wheels - why? ..
Norm,

The replacement bogie has full scale sized bogie wheels, to provide the option for people with layouts where curves are large enough for these not to foul on the cylinders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Edwin, I didn't get "one of these", so thanks for the link.
34C, so the wheels on it are not scale? And instead of adding scale wheels, they give you a complete bogie with coupling? That's service! but then again, shouldn't the tender wheels be spoked? OK, so you can't see 'em anyway.
Norm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I find the advantage of replacing the rearmost set of tyred tender wheels with the plain ones is better pickup on DC anyway. Mine will still comfortably haul nine BachFarish Staniers on the level without any other modification, but I agree there is a trade off against haulage in doing this as the tender is very light.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
The model is a good one but this thread reminds me that many manufacturers publish exploded diagrams on their websites - sometimes they take a bit of finding but let's start a list:

Hornby
Bachmann
Fleischmann

Maybe we can save this with the appropriate links somewhere on this forum? Doug?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I am a retailer of Farish and have never been able to find these service sheets on the Bachmann site. Are they a new addition?

David Y

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
As far as I am aware the first loco that came with any sort of service information was the Class 66 with a leaflet on how to fit a decoder, and there doesn't appear to be any intention to produce retrospective service sheets for older models. The service sheets were on the old Farish website, though pretty well hidden, and (I presume) all the ones that now exist are on the link I posted above. The level of detail has increased for the more recent models, there is even a servicing sheet for the Class 47 which isn't even released for another couple of months!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts