Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just to bring to your attention that Bachmann may have underestimated the demand for these new wagons. They generally run in rakes of 15 or more and modellers have been snapping up just that! 15 at a time! The rumour was the production run was 9000 which is enough for just 600 modellers at 15 per modeller.

There are a few left around the country but not that many so if you are after a rake the advice is get them now before they sell out!

What I was amazed about when I heard this was that there were at least 600 modellers running Class 66 locos who had layouts large enough to run a rake of 15 of these wagons!

There are definitely some seriously large layouts behind the curtains!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Administrator
9,901 Posts
>at least 600 modellers running Class 66 locos
and each of these is the sound equipped version?

David

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Brilliant deduction Holmes!

Big layout!

Big trucks!

Big DCC!

BIG NOISE!

If I had a BIG layout I'd probably do the same!

I'll have to make do with my titchy planks, little DC and steam sound LP.

Not really! I will be joining the BIG NOISE club shortly!

Happy modelling
Gary

PS I wonder how many of the above mentioned grouping of noisy modellers actually drive these trains for their day job!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have four HHAs on my small layout, and was planning on at least another four; and then later on, another eight (to represent empties for the return journey).

So there's 16 right off. If I had a larger layout I'd certainly be looking at twice that number.

Yet another nice modern wagon from Bachmann, too.

·
Administrator
9,901 Posts
>BIG etc.
The fact that there appears to be a significant number of people prepared to spend big bucks on their hobby does seem to give the lie to the idea that modellers in the UK are tight fisted and want it all for nothing, or are they just the "noisy" ones?

David

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it does seem there are folk prepared to spend big bucks if the product is right.

Getting back to the wagon is this 100T Heavy Haul wagon the biggest single non articulated wagon ever seen on UK tracks?

When I was told folk are buying 15 at a time I was starting to wonder as that would mean a total haul of 1500 tons which is an aweful lot and I was not sure one Class 66 was that powerful. But would it not be great to be the driver pulling the cab throttle and getting 1500 tons rolling along the track!

Glad that Paxman mentioned empties as its now a bit clearer.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey Gary, yep, my ultimate plan is to run proper "services," so, if a full coal train goes one way, then an empty one comes back in the opposite direction at some time. That's the idea, anyhow.

However, I checked on my layout last night, my arithmetic (eyesight?) is a bit wrong, I'm probably going to have to content myself with 6 wagons to represent my imaginary train (12 in all)....Ah well. One day.

It will be 8 x 2 = 16 JGAs, though. They're nifty little wagons, too.

On the prototype, well, I'm not an expert by any means, but real 66s haul 102 tonne HTAs 19 at a time, don't they? - I can see them on my local lines, or if I trouble to go to Avonmouth and look.

I don't know a 66's power limits, but I wouldn't have thought they were slackards. Any knowledegable enthusiast care to comment?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Most EWS coal trains (Similar to the HHA) run in rakes of 21 gerneally (2142 Tons)! There is also the 'Jumbo' service which runs with 2 66's and 42 HTAs.

The Frightliner coal trains using HHAs run generally in rakes of 18 (1836 Tons), but have seen some with 17/19 wagons.

·
Registered
174 Posts
There is a rundown on Freightliner services in the last to issues of model rail. I believe the 66 is maxed out at 2500 tones.

Hope Bachmann haven't done the same small run witht he containers or I will be really hacked off!!

Darren

·
Registered
763 Posts
Having looked at this in the context of our club project , we clearly can't run anything like scale length coal trains . We might manage 9 wagons and a loco, but even this is going to look noticeably "short". And I doubt if we can manage more than one such train

Even so , if you buy one of these , you're committed to buying quite a few because they don't run singly

·
Registered
101 Posts
QUOTE (Tonyperks @ 16 Feb 2007, 17:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i know its not heavy haul but an EWS train pulling out of chipping sodbury loop after being recessed to allow a sprinter and an Hst set pass.tonys pics Well chuffed ive never been able to make this work before, just look at the detail for us modellers loads of clutter

Nice!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts