Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Please see a few posts down for the link to the review.

This is the review thread, but as the model is running in before I fit the DCC decoder and take some photos on the track, here is a little video of the model on the rolling road.

Initially the model 'waddled' from side to side quite a bit, but within a few minutes that movement was reduced and it is running very smoothly.

http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/k6YbpDBKh4wIxpLiAr&related=1

I notice the new Bachmann packaging and the Liliput-like protection for the model that is very effective in keeping things intact.

Come back here and see the write-up that I'll have up this evening as I've already completed the historical part whilst I was waiting for delivery.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (60134 @ 10 Sep 2008, 22:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What a great "teaser"! Still,it waddles just like the real thing....

***Bachmann use square section milled grooves in the chassis block as axle bearings.

I've noticed that several Bachmann locos I had to install recently, including one of my own (a new Jubilee) waddled or had a tight spot.

I dropped the wheelsets out and it wasn't too hard to identify the common problem - there are slight dags at the end of each axle bearing groove, these force the axles out of "perfect parallel" resulting in the problems seen.

A couple of gentle strokes of a needle file to smooth these dags away from each end of the slots and both the tight spots and waddle are immediately gone, and the loco's now all run really smoothly at all speeds with no sign of the wobble at all.

Richard

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not waddling any more, it actually runs quite well.

There are BIG problems with this loco regarding DCC...

I've solved the issue now, but there is trouble ahead for the people expecting to plug'n'play.

More about that later.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm intrigued by the last comment as I have just installed a Bachmann decoder and tested it with my sprog and I was quite impressed. Probably one of the easiest chip installations i have carried out.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I wish... I tried the Bachmann 3-function 21-pin decoder (ESU) and it played up. Jerky, shooting off, erratic movement.

I tried another decoder of the same type (I had to take apart my Liliput 140_C_314 to get the decoder out) - same problem.

I tried a brand new out-of-the-box Lenz Gold with a 8-pin to 21-pin adaptor (I had to take apart my Bachmann NRM Prototype Deltic to get the adaptor out) - same problem.

I have seen this problem before. It is due to the capacitors on the motor. So I removed the caps and the resistors (tricky job), then I reinstalled the first Bachmann 3-function 21-pin decoder and now all is fine. Smooth, slow running, no problems.

I'll put up a video showing this problem.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Great review Doug

Removing that front coupler makes such a difference. The prototype may have run in reverse a lot but for those of us who don't use 3 link couplings I think our models are destined for forward running only.

I'm not looking forward to going after those motor caps

I have a question:

Is the inside of the coal bunker modelled on the tender but hidden in your photos under a removable coal load or is the coal fixed leaving an uninterrupted space for a speaker? I am wondering if surgery is needed for speaker fitting.

David

·
In depth idiot
7,685 Posts
A thorough and useful review. I have been looking forward to this release simply because I believe it is the first RTR OO model of an LNWR originated design. Hopefully it will sell well and give Bachmann the confidence to do more of the older workaday but extremely characterful types that abounded in the UK to the end of steam. Don't expect I will be able to hold out for long, soon one of these will be wheezing and clanking about on my layout.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 10 Sep 2008, 23:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...
I have a question:

Is the inside of the coal bunker modelled on the tender but hidden in your photos under a removable coal load or is the coal fixed leaving an uninterrupted space for a speaker? I am wondering if surgery is needed for speaker fitting.
There is plenty of space for a sound decoder and speaker. The coal load is metal (I suppose to add some ballast to the tender) and is about 3-4 mm thick. It doesn't take up any of the space inside the tender. You can leave it there or remove it if you are interested in adding some better looking scale coal.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE Don't expect I will be able to hold out for long, soon one of these will be wheezing and clanking about on my layout.

Me neither. It looks like I'm "home alone" this weekend looking after the dogs. The Watercress Line is having a Steam Gala (details via this link) featuring large engines from the Big 4 and as many of you will know, there is a very well stocked model shop in Alton. Of course they may be sold out and my wallet will be safe.

David

·
Boghouse Cleaner
404 Posts
QUOTE (Doug)... the drawbar is not adjustable and ensures a fixed distance between locomotive and tender.

On my model the drawbar under the tender is slotted allowing it to be slid after loosening the fixing screw.

·
In depth idiot
7,685 Posts
QUOTE (Free_at _last @ 10 Sep 2008, 23:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On my model the drawbar under the tender is slotted allowing it to be slid after loosening the fixing screw.
Now that is good news. Bachmann have a version of this on their A4, and it is quite the best thing for setting the distance as close as possible, compatible with the minimum curvature on a layout.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
QUOTE (bike2steam @ 11 Sep 2008, 09:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Whoops, what happened to the reach rod, looks like bent 'indirect action'.
Paul M.
Well spotted. I must have not put it back properly when taking the body apart. I've set it right now. Thanks for that.

Here are a few more photos of the real thing that didn't make it into the review. Photos courtesy of Keith Langston.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
An interesting video. Thanks for taking the trouble to post it.

David

1 - 20 of 51 Posts