Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
A member of Warley MRC bought in one of these locos last night and had it running around the members large test layout. It was brand new and had smoke and a working front headlight and was twice the size of the average British outline loco. We checked the guaging and the loco managed to get around the layout (just) without touching anything.

We were then asked to guess the price paid including shipping from the USA. We were all well wrong and stunned when we learnt of the actual price paid including airmail shipping in a massive Model Rail editorial type foam box with a lifelong guarantee!

At £47 including shipping I couldn't get to a computer terminal fast enougth and my order is now in and shipment is on the way to the UK!

Now a Seuth smoke unit is £15 (in the UK) so it has to be a bargain!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've got a feeling that somebody is bound to say they picked up one for £39 including shipping.

Its usually the way!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Morning gary.

I have got the daylight. its got the same chassis ect...

They are great engines. does yours have any problems reversing over reverse curves? there's something about the geometry of the engine/tender coupling and mine just dosent like it. but going forward it looks fantastic.

Mine was brand new but withought a box. i actually didnt know it had a smoke unit untill i found the front of the loco getting warm and whipped the body off to find out why.

I got mine in echo train store in beijing. (my girlfreind wanted to get me something!)

it was Y450 (thats about £32 but as i say it was without box)

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tested the loco out tonight. Two things that please me a lot.

1) This massive loco will run on R2 set track curves.
2) The American couplers are great for hooking up to old Dublo stuff. This is a BIG bonus!

I am perfectly happy to live with big gaps between the cab and the tender if it means the loco does what I want it to do and I can mix it in with other bits and bobs. The chassis looks pretty solid in a Triang Hornby sort of way and this over engineering appeals to me a lot.

Are there any cheap digital sound chip American locos I wonder. Say for around £60?

I will have to investigate....

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>Are there any cheap digital sound chip American locos I wonder. Say for around £60?
I would start by visiting Tony's trains. It's a US site but since your loco came direct from there, I didn't think that would put you off.

I had a quick look at the Soundtraxx decoders being offered; I think you should find something there that would interest you BUT and you're not going to like this, if you decide to buy a Soundtraxx it looks as if you need to make a one off purchase of a gadget that allows you to actually program the decoder via the programming track. I have a vague memory of this issue coming up in the past - Soundtraxx decoders and some others - take more power than a standard programming output of a DCC control unit will supply. This gadget appears to be the answer. Quite how you would get on with your Hornby controller, I just don't know. It would probably be a World's first if you did it.

You might find that an ESU is better suited to your setup though whether you can find something to suit is less certain. I certainly have not heard that you need to buy a gadget to go between the control unit and the programming track.

Since you are a member of Warley MRC and South West Digital are going to be at next week's show, I would hold your horses for a week and have an "offline" chat with Steve. It's an opportunity to find out for free that your Hornby will work with an ESU sound decoder. I'm sure once you tell Steve you are THE Gary of MRF, you will get special treatment. Regard it as a chance to dispel the Fear Uncertainty and Doubt being spread about Hornby digital in some quarters
. If Steve is too busy try DCC Supplies, they'll be there too.

David

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been running this for two hours now and I am absolutely mesmerised by the smoke. I have never seen so much. Even wifey had to admit that it looked spectactular charging around the small oval with its express freight wagons and with plumes of smoke filling the room. There is even natural weathering along the top of the boiler caused by the smoke oil spitting over it.

British outline manufacturers must give smoke the very highest priority as I definitely want more of this!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello,
could you please tell me where you purchased this?, how much?how long did it take to arrive and did you have to pay customs,vat etc,?
thank you
tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts