Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Bachmann Europe Plc today announced that it is introducing two new logos to show which items are fitted with 8 pin and 21 pin decoder sockets. These will appear initially on the Bachmann website at www.bachmann.co.uk in the products listing section of the site.

Sales & Marketing Manager David Haarhaus said today "we appreciate that the introduction of the 21 pin socket has caught some people unawares in the past and in order to differentiate between the two types of sockets in use in our DCC READY products, we are introducing two new logos to show which locomotives require 21 pin decoders to be installed".

Bachmann will shortly be introducing a new 21 pin decoder (36-554) which will retail at £10.95. 21 pin decoders are now fitted by many European manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Worth remembering that the 21 pin harness is still not the standard! It may will be one day but Bachman are taking a risk by backing it so soon in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I think it is also worth remembering that the UK is still substanially behind the rest of the model rail world in terms of DCC. The 21 pin socket is likely to become the standard and Bachmann have again shown that they are prepared to keep up with the rest of the world by embracing this change rather than fighting or ignoring it.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Indeed, Bachmann didn't invent the 21 pin socket. It's being used by a number of manufacturers of RTR models and decoders (e.g. Zimo and ESU ).

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
For me its all about hardwiring anyway! I just don't see the need for a 21 pin arrangement. Its just 21 possible short circults....

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE Bachmann will shortly be introducing a new 21 pin decoder (36-554) which will retail at £10.95. 21 pin decoders are now fitted by many European manufacturers.

Will the new 21 pin decoder have any additional features or will it be a decoder featured in the current range with a 21 pin plug?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
the 21 pin decoders have more functions.
they can also be used on loco's with more sophisticated lighting arrangements.

they would also be usefull for things like pantographs and uncouplers and fans etc....

I dont think it will replace the 8 pin. i think it will be an aswell-as rather than instead of.

Peter

·
Registered
697 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 5 Apr 2007, 09:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Will the new 21 pin decoder have any additional features or will it be a decoder featured in the current range with a 21 pin plug?

Happy modelling
Gary
The new Bachmann 21 pin decoder mentioned is listed in their 2007 catalogue, No. 36-554 rrp £10.95.

It's only a 3 function device, but has 4 digit addressing.
I don't know whether this is a version of their existing 3 function decoder or a completely different model?

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I saw these new logos on Bachmann's website this evening. It appears that the 21 sockets only appear in diesels. There also some models listed as DCC Ready. I don't know if this is just a case of the website entry not being updated yet for these models or something along the recently announced Farish practice of providing solder tags to attach decoder wires to.

David

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Bachmann offer for sale for about £3 an 8 pin to 21 pin adaptor so the answer is yes with the use of an adaptor.

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 14 of 14 Posts