Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Murphy Models recently commissioned a number of Bachmann OO scale Mark IIA coaches to cater for enthusiasts modelling Irish railways. Following on from the success of these coaches Murphy Models have commissioned a number of Class 141 and 181 diesel locomotives which will be available towards the end of 2007. Models will be produced in CIE, IR and IE liveries with weathered versions also. They will be fully detailed Bachmann models including lights, aerials and tablet catchers and all models will be DCC ready fitted with the 21 pin socket. They will complement the coaches very nicely.

The Class 141 loco has operated since 1962 across much of Ireland with 37 prototypes built all with 950hp motors. The slightly more powerful Class 181 loco with the 1100hp motor has operated since 1966 with 12 prototypes built. Many locomotives are still in current use and they operated both passenger and freight traffic. Very often they would be seen running in pairs.

There will be 6 models each of the Class 141 and the Class 181 with there being 2 examples of each of the CIE, IR and IE liveries with each model having different fleet numbers. Speaking with Paddy Murphy of Murphy Models at the London Toy Fair, he is planning to spread the release of the models over several months allowing modellers to save up if they wish to obtain all 12. Whilst the models are for the Irish market a small tranche will be available in very limited numbers through leading stockists in the UK.

Whilst liasing with Bachmann during the model design process Paddy Murphy discovered that making models is not as easy as he thought! The cabs on the Class 141 and Class 181 have a unique shape and to get the door angle and cab angles right the loco body will have to be produced from several moulds and assembled. All previous commissioned models have been single mould productions. Reading between the lines this was also a first for Bachmann aswell so Irish modellers will certainly be getting something special!

It has to be said that based on the evidence of values that previous models commissioned by Murphy Models are currently exchanging hands at, these models will become extremely collectable and it is advisable to express an interest early as if you do not you may be dissapointed!

Class 141 Loco

Class 181 Loco

For the last 20 years Paddy Murphy has been instrumental in ensuring that modellers of Irish railways have a steady stream of ready to run locomotives and rolling stock available. He is very well known in Irish model railway circles and the models he helps to develop and bring to market have always been extremely well received by Irish modellers all over the world!

They are all extemely collectable and sought after without exception. It cannot be overlooked that Irish models are not just popular in Ireland as the Irish have spread their wings and there is demand worldwide for these models. Many models will find their way to Scotland, America and Australia and in fact any part of the world where there is a strong sense of Irish community.

Mr Paddy Murphy of Murphy Models and Dennis Lovett of Bachmann reviewing a guide to Irish locomotives at the recent London Toy Fair.

To provide a bit of background history to the Irish model railway scene Paddy Murphy had a very good working relationship with Lima and as well as a locomotives Lima also produced Irish Mk2 and Mk3 coaches and Irish wagons. Examples of Lima models produced over the last 20 years for Irish railway modellers are shown below.

Lima Class 209 Diesel Loco in NIE blue

Lima Class 217 Diesel Loco in IE orange

Lima Class 33 215 Diesel Loco in IE orange

Lima Class 219 Diesel Loco in IE orange

For those interested in more prototypical pictures of the two locomotives Paddy Murphy recommended a visit to the link below:-

http://dg112.fotopic.net/

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is excellent news for me!!

My memories of a a childhood spent at Greystones station (Co.Wicklow) in the 70's can now be modelled RTR!!

Will have to get my reserve down for a 141!!

Nitemare

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Yes indeed it really is good news for the irish modelers! Sadly it has taken a long time to release these models as they were first due for Christmas 2005! But due to the above mentions cab problems the dates have slipped. It is believed that the first baby gm should be in the shops by August. Fantastic!

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is very welcome for modellers of Irish railways and its arrival has been rumoured for some time.

As I child I remember getting a Lima HO BR Class 33 in CIE colours! Hornby even produced a Hymek in CIE colours. As I grew older I got more and more interested in BR and the lack of realistic Irish models definitely had something to do with it. I even rememeber picking up a cheap second hand Hymek in CIE colours and taking great pleasure in repainting into more realistic BR colours. However even today I cannot live with the massive scale difference in the track guage. While I do model British outline in OO, in an ideal world it would be EM, its a compromise I can just about accept. However in 4mm scale the Irish track guage is 21mm and that is a bit too much for me!
This however is promising to be a fantastic model and I do not wish to detract from it. I am sure there will be some who will regauge it.

Finally just a quick note of CIE classes above. These take their number from the first member of the class, e.g. Class 141 and Class 181 (e.g. picture above of Class 181 number 187). However, the Lima model above of number 217 is a 201 Class loco with the numbered 217 and not a Class 217.
Sorry for being pedantic!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi again,

I'd loved to have seen a Class 071 added to the range of up-coming models too, but hey beggars can't be choosers so I'm just delighted to see something emerge!!

Nitemare.

PS Wonder if a DART model will appear??

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (Nitemare @ 14 Feb 2007, 12:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi again,

I'd loved to have seen a Class 071 added to the range of up-coming models too, but hey beggars can't be choosers so I'm just delighted to see something emerge!!

Nitemare.

PS Wonder if a DART model will appear??

Please, no...

I suppose it's an incentive to buy one, so as to encourage Murphy Models to commission more types.

I wonder what the tooling costs to him (Paddy Murphy) are? If Bachmann is willing to take on personal tooling commissions, who knows what you could do? You could commission your very own production run of a 4F, 4CIG, Duchess, BTH 15 etc.! (Although you may have to also pay for the production costs of a run of models)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts