Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi does anyone have any photos or detailed description of how to get the body off the Bachmann Ivatt 43xxx loco. I have taken out all the correct screws and trying to lever it will break all sorts of bits off. I have spoken with Bachmann who said it was "A BIT TIGHT" NO KIDDING. I wanted to fit a SWD sound chip so if anyone has acheived the near impossible and done it i would be grateful for some advice. Failing that does anyone know someone who could fit it for me preferbly based around the Midlands UK.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Peter_Harvey @ 2 Aug 2007, 06:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I Would say just take them all out its going to be like the 08 I fear.
Pete

Already tried that Peter problem is chassis seems wedged into body there is absolutly no movement at all. I am really concerned that I will end up damaging what is a very nice loco. Spoke to Bachmann again today but they were no help at all.

·
In depth idiot
7,685 Posts
Had a similar struggle with a K3 from Bachmann. Once the screws were removed, it was necessary to work the chassis, twisting it side to side relative to the body to get it out. There were some creaking and cracking noises but no visible damage. The paint on the diecast running plates and chassis appeared to have formed something of a bond, being very tightly in contact on this particular example. A little work with a file inside the body has prevenrted the problem recurring.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Some Hornby locos are tighter than the proverbial these days but I have noticed that weathered versions do tend to get gummed up during the process.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (34C @ 2 Aug 2007, 17:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Had a similar struggle with a K3 from Bachmann. Once the screws were removed, it was necessary to work the chassis, twisting it side to side relative to the body to get it out. There were some creaking and cracking noises but no visible damage. The paint on the diecast running plates and chassis appeared to have formed something of a bond, being very tightly in contact on this particular example. A little work with a file inside the body has prevenrted the problem recurring.

This looking the most promising idea so far after a couple of hours it has moved about 6mm so if i live long enough i should be able to get it off. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
QUOTE Bachmann have issued revised instructions for the removal of the long draw bar between tender and locomotive and replacing it with the replacement provided in the locomotive accessory pack.

Body removal - Remove centre screw under the front pony truck. Remove second screw from rear of cab, situated underneath the simulated brake actuator.

Tender draw bar removal - Unscrew first screw just in front of rear of the cab and remove. Half unscrew rear baseplate screw just in front of simulated brake actuator. Lift the base plate 1/2mm which will enable you to withdraw the draw bar from the locomotive. Gently lift the draw bar in an upwards movement to clear the tender location drawbar pin.

I extracted the above quote from MRE....although the subject is the tender drawbar, the problem was the same, getting the loco body off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts