Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone know if the Bachmann J39 model has a split chassis? I've had my eye on one for a while now, but dont want to take the plunge if the model has the awkward split design. My layout is DCC so it would have to be able to accommodate a decoder - even if its a small one.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
If you visit Bachmann's service sheet webpage using the link and then select J39 0-6-0 from the list, you will download a PDF showing a split frame chassis

David

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 2 Jul 2007, 20:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you visit Bachmann's service sheet webpage using the link and then select J39 0-6-0 from the list, you will download a PDF showing a split frame chassis

David

Thats a shame. It looks like being a no-go engine then. Not sure how there would be space to fit a decoder in that chassis?
Thanks for the info anyway!

Ed

·
Registered
74 Posts
QUOTE (edzmen @ 3 Jul 2007, 09:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thats a shame. It looks like being a no-go engine then. Not sure how there would be space to fit a decoder in that chassis?
Thanks for the info anyway!

Ed

It's not a no go I've two J39's each fitted with a decoder. In each case I fitted the deocder in the Cab roof.

Where are you based?

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
the J39 is the easiest split frame chassis to convert. All you need is a few basic tools a soldering iron and some 1.25mm shrink tube. I seem to recall the decoder fitted in the front of the boiler. If not a quick trim with a junior hacksaw will quickly make you some space either on top or as I said in the front. I've done 100's of conversions. Add a file to remove the burrs. Lenz mini silver or Mini gold, TCS M1, small Zimo, Digitrax 143 or a ZTC 403 I think- they all fit.
Please don't fit a hornby Decoder because their unreliable !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts