Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts

Bachmann Europe PLC has announced that the first of the OO gauge Jubilee Class 4-6-0 steam locomotives has been released.

Designed by Sir William Stanier for the London, Midland & Scottish Railway, 191 locomotives were built between April 1934 and December 1936. Many saw service on the former Midland Railway main line between London St. Pancras, the East Midlands, Sheffield, Leeds and Carlisle. They also worked cross-country trains from Bristol towards Birmingham and the North East. On the West Coast main line they saw active service on trains between London Euston and Birmingham New Street. Although unnamed at first, the Silver Jubilee of King George V in 1935 resulted in No. 5552 being repainted into glossy black livery with chromium plated handrails, boiler fittings and cab side numbers being applied. The class was then named after countries of the British Empire, former Admirals and warships. Withdrawals began in January 1961 with the last of the class being withdrawn in November 1967, nine months before the end of steam on British Rail. The final examples worked in the North West with four members of the class entering preservation.

The first model to be released from the all-new tooling is No. 45611 'Hong Kong' in British Railways Green livery with early emblem (Catalogue No.31-175). The model has a DCC socket installed (8 pin) and has a recommended retail price of £94.95. Further versions will be released in due course.

Hi Y'all,

A Christmas surprise - Visiting Allison's of Worksop to avail myself of some Chocolate and Cream WR Mark 1's for the forthcoming 'Jubilee', expected at the end of the Year/Beginning of the New Year, I was shown the new 'Jubilee - 45611 Hong Kong'. So it came home with me!

Not had any chance to run it yet, but it does look the part, a real departure from the earlier model. Others are expected at the beginning of the New Year, but Bachmann don't deliver according to plan, I am pleased to say!

Cheers,

Hugh

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts

David

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine arrived in this morning's post from Hattons. It looks great and runs very well. The opening smokebox door is a tiny bit pointless, apart from the ability to pose for a photo, because there's just a black plastic wall inside! Cab detail is better than on some recent Bachmann locos with a fair bit of separate detail. The orange lining is a bit thick on the cab and tender sides and a bit bright too, but easily rectified by some careful weathering. A lovely model, like most Bachmann steam locos it looks the part, so well done!

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE How much?

The price listed on Bachmann's website is £94.95. Extrapolate your favourite supplier's price from that.

David

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Y'all - again!

Pleased to report that said loco has been run in according to manufacturer's instructions. One TCS MC4 (over spec, but it was an a recycled unit and I am running low on these items) fitted. Loco runs like a dream, even without the interference suppression capacitors removed. I have it pulling a mixed rake of Mainline (remember them), Bachmann Mk1's, Bachmann Thompson's and Bachmann suburban Mk.1's, 7 in all. I feel that it would handle perhaps a couple or three more, but my track radii wouldn't take it - I don't normally run more than 8). I am pleased to say (1) fitting the decoder was a cinch, best set up ever - a vertical drop from the body, undo two easily accessible screws. Good locating slot for decoder. (2) the loco is steady well balanced forward and reverse through awkward point configs.

In short - GREAT.

Only one niggle - tender draw bar isn't setup for close coupling, but a get around is possible, I should think.

Cheers,

Hugh

·
In depth idiot
7,673 Posts
QUOTE (Hugh Williams @ 1 Dec 2007, 17:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Only one niggle - tender draw bar isn't setup for close coupling, but a get around is possible, I should think.
Hugh,

Look in the plastic bag with the brake rods: there should be a short bar to couple them up at prototype distance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
QUOTE (dwilson9 @ 30 Nov 2007, 12:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mine arrived in this morning's post from Hattons. It looks great and runs very well.

Great stuff! Any chance of someone doing a review before Christmas?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (34C @ 1 Dec 2007, 23:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hugh,

Look in the plastic bag with the brake rods: there should be a short bar to couple them up at prototype distance.

Thanks 34C, I had only got as far as test driving, so I didn't think any further than checking out the bits bag. Too much in a rush to have it run in and test on dcc, then check out the pulling power and performance on the road............

Cheers,

Hugh

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE Any chance of someone doing a review before Christmas?

I'll do one if someone sends me a non-returnable sample
I've no plans to buy one of my own in the next couple weeks.

David

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (34C @ 1 Dec 2007, 23:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hugh,

Hi Again,

I have found the short draw bar and duly fitted it. Like the long draw bar the loco could not retain the tender connection, until I used a track pin in the tender. This did the job. The short connection is fine over all types of Peco Points and 24" radii track and reverse curves. When I find a suitably small self tapper screw I will replace the track pin. The loco is running with a TCS decoder and runs beautifully, pulling 8 coaches without an effort. The coaches are Bachmann Mk1'S and a stray Bulleid (modern version).

It would seem a good idea if Bachmann used a screw in the tender to keep the draw bar, instead of the current method.

Cheers,

Hugh

·
In depth idiot
7,673 Posts
QUOTE (Hugh Williams @ 5 Jan 2008, 18:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It would seem a good idea if Bachmann used a screw in the tender to keep the draw bar, instead of the current method.
Hugh,

Something I have done on some locos to get the correct loco to tender distance where this is not possible with the drawbar options supplied, is to cut off the peg on the tender floor, and drill a hole for a self tapper at a convenient location. I often wire through to tender pick-ups and/or a decoder in the tender, and this protects the wiring harness from accidental pulls as an additional benefit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts