Model Railway Forum banner

Bachmann Jubilee prototype photo

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  dwb 
#1 ·
This week's Friday night update to the Bachmann website includes a photo of the prototype for a short firebox version of the forthcoming Jubilee class locomotive. Equally interesting to my point of view is the mention of an opening smokebox door and footplate fall plate. It seems the detail stakes are still being cranked up in the steam loco market.

David

#3 ·
On the decoder location front, Bachmann's announcement for the 2MT quietly included the information that the socket would be in the tender. I feel that is very welcome news, particularly if there is a good electrical connector between loco and tender, of similar quality to that on Hornby's Britannia. It should be much easier to access a socket, and install a decoder within the roomy plastic box of a tender, as compared to the confines of a boiler. If really well executed on a larger tender type, it would be quite possible to have access from below, or within the coal space, or under a lift out rear deck. Hopefully it will be generally well received, and we may see more models where the decoder space and socket are readily accessible with minimal, if any, dismantling required.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (34C @ 1 Jun 2007, 20:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On the decoder location front, Bachmann's announcement for the 2MT quietly included the information that the socket would be in the tender...

Yes, I like this idea very much. It would solve so many problems.

You need a 4-wire connector (two for the motor, two for the loco pickups) and they are hard to find. I found one recently from Express models:

#6 ·
QUOTE On the decoder location front, Bachmann's announcement for the 2MT quietly included the information that the socket would be in the tender. I feel that is very welcome news, particularly if there is a good electrical connector between loco and tender, of similar quality to that on Hornby's Britannia. It should be much easier to access a socket, and install a decoder within the roomy plastic box of a tender, as compared to the confines of a boiler. If really well executed on a larger tender type, it would be quite possible to have access from below, or within the coal space, or under a lift out rear deck. Hopefully it will be generally well received, and we may see more models where the decoder space and socket are readily accessible with minimal, if any, dismantling required.

I would also like to see some tender pick-ups.

#7 ·
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 1 Jun 2007, 22:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would also like to see some tender pick-ups.

With you on that. Ideally using the split chassis principle for minimum friction pick up, using the method demonstrated on Bachmann's Met-Camm Pullmans. Much as I like Hornby routinely fitting tender pick-ups, they use the conventional wheelback wiper, and these tend to become very draggy after a few hours running.

#9 ·
QUOTE (alibuchan @ 3 Jun 2007, 22:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>NOOOOOO!!!! this gives problems to DCCers as you have to isolate the 1 side from the other if i have been told correctly.
Alistair,

To clarify what I meant by this, the split chassis pick up is confined to the tender. It's no problem in a plastic chassied tender, just two metal strips acting as both the axle bearings and the electrical pick-up. (Take a look at the arrangement used on Bach's Met-Camm Pullman cars if my description doesn't make it clear.) For powered steam loco chassis conventional insulated wheels with wiper pick up is much the best.

Where pick up is on bogies, split chassis is a very good pick up method, introducing no problems for DCC conversion. Hornby used this principle very neatly on their class 31, (and possibly also the 50 and 60, but I do not have these models).

#10 ·
Anybody interested in some prototype information on Jubilees should have a look at the June edition of "Steam Days" which has an article on the locos named after tropical islands in the British Empire. It has some interesting stuff. I was particularly interested to read how a lot of these Jubilees had "tender swaps" with Royal Scots almost as soon as they entered service. Sometimes they got them back again later, or something else.

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.