Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
It is worth bringing to your attention that Bachmann confirmed at the London Toy Fair that they commit to only ever having one production run of any locomotive livery that they offer for sale. If you want a particular model then you really do have to pick it up at the time it has been released as once it has gone it really has gone!

The new Class 66 Shanks diesel loco with onboard sound in the catalogue is the 40th Anniversary livery and it was considered that this would complement an earlier example offered.

If Evening Star is ever to be offered again using the recent tooling it would be as a weathered example and this type of finish may not appeal to those who originally purchased Evening Star in pristine condition.

Maybe in 10-15 years time if Bachmann decide to retool the Class 9f and produce an even more accurate model, which they may be able to as a result of technological advances in tooling and production, there may be a future release of Evening Star with this new Super Super Incredible 2020 tooling.

This gaurantee makes all Bachmann models highly desirable and collectable!

And it goes some way to explaining why many of their models in mint condition fetch large premiums in the secondary market after a few years!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did they mention at all the number of units in each production run? 504, 750 and even 1200 seem to be classed as limited editions (Though I think far back you'd see ltd ed runs of 5000). Didn't Lima just end up going down the "everything limited edition" road before collapsing?

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
In the case of Lima they did no more than 500 and in a lot of cases 250 when they classified things as "limited". I would guess that "limited" implies that it may not be a product on general release and restricted to being offered by a certain number of stockists or having order restrictions being placed on it.

Could you ever imagine Hornby doing a run of just 250?

And can you imagine what might happen if they ever did?

It would be more hassle than its worth me thinks!

And I would guess items for general release would have no order restrictions with stockists being able to order 100's of the product each if they feel the demand is there. Whatever the case Bachmann will only have one production run.

Hornby had several production runs of "Clan Line" with later production being the subject of ongoing development. It was an extremely popular model. And of course there is Flying Scotsman. Hornby probably feel that every year there will be a new batch of modellers and there will always be a demand for certain models.

The Bachmann policy can occasionally backfire of course!

Happy modelling
Gary

PS Underground Ernie fanatics need not worry. The Bachmann policy does not apply to the toy division and Underground Ernie, like Hogwarts Express and Thomas the Tank Engine, will be available for you every Xmas and Birthday!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Seems a rediculous policy to me, especially as Evening Star is the most sought after of all the 9F's. I notice though that their policy is slightly broken by this years releases to include 4771 Green Arrow in LNER apple green and 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley in BR blue, both of which have been produced before. I should think the only changes have been to replace a few of the plastic parts on the valve gear for metal ones on the V2.

Regards,

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got be be honest and say that when I was browsing the catalogue Sir Nigel Gresley did catch my eye and I was thinking that it had been done before. Its being done in BR blue without valances and I am not too sure that Bachmann have offered this version.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
763 Posts
In it's last years , Lima seemed only to be interested in targeting a collecters market, with virtually everything being a "limited edition" .

It came to seem as if they weren't interested in the market for stuff that actually ran on layouts - hence their persistance with low quality mechanisms and failure to upgrade models. If the model was simply going to sit in its mint box as a collectable, it must have seemed there was no point

The rest (and Lima) is history.

Wonder what has happened to all those "collectable" Lima locos now Lima fetches about £20 a time on eBay??

·
Registered
461 Posts
Class 66 Shanks diesel loco with onboard sound in the catalogue is the 40th Anniversary livery.

This is also being aoofered to the collectors club members as there own Loco this year the only difference is no sound or on board DCC.

I'm to shore if this dosent make the idea of a special eddition point less, but I'm sure that it will sell.

Pete

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bachmann A4 Sir Nigel Gresley in BR Express Blue has definately been produced before as I have this model in my display case, but here is the difference . My model has Single chimney and is weathered, therefore I think Bachmanns comments do have merit as it is not the same as produced before.

Derek

·
Registered
982 Posts
Probably Bachmann think there is merit in producing subsequent runs of locos with changed numbers/names. In this way they may increase sales allowing modellers to run two of the same loco.

But its silly to create rules just for the sake of it. While making slightly diffirent runs makes sense for most models it doesn't apply to "famous names" such as Evening Star , Sir Nigel, Mallard , Flying Scotsman etc where there seems to be a reasonably constant demand.

Russell

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE It is worth bringing to your attention that Bachmann confirmed at the London Toy Fair that they commit to only ever having one production run of any locomotive livery that they offer for sale. If you want a particular model then you really do have to pick it up at the time it has been released as once it has gone it really has gone! It seems odd that they don't publicise this. Maerklin, Trix and Fleischmann do limited runs of "one time series" locos and trains but they state this openly in advance so the customer knows if he really wants the item he had better get his dosh sorted out and get an advance order in. I know that the Trix ones are often sold out before they are even delivered to the shops. I'm surprised Bachmann don't use the same sales strategy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ciao to all of you.
I'm replying only to bring my experience of "continental" modeller.
After introducing the "limited series" models usually the manufacturer use this as a leverage to increase price
, avoid criticism by the modeller looking de visu at the model in the hobby shop, having him/her ordered well before this occasion.
In the short run only the manufacturer will gain, after that with the price of the models going up only the seller at the local model market. At the end of the game all the models will be so expensive that only few modellers will afford to continue, and the manufacturer will regret about the "so small market"ending development and production!!!
Be aware of this.
In Italy the average age of the railway modeller is growing rapidly (no future generation of buyer), and the income necssary are so high that only a small percntage can afford it.....
Sorry for reporting this, but that's what happened here a few years ago....

·
Registered
697 Posts
Limited production runs?

Don't Heljan and Dapol do that with their batch production methods.

e.g. Dapol N Pendolino is only produced in batches of 250.

It seems to work for them?

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
thats just plain daft. surely if these is huge demand for a model and they have sold out then they should do another batch. surley that is just good business, supply and demand?

expecially models like the NRM editions like evening star. there will always be a constant demand for the model so why only do one production run?

I suppose that means we wont get a non collectors edition of black prince.

I sometimes think their initial batches of a model are too large. I hate it that we all seem to have exactly the same voyagers! perhaps having 3 or 4 numbers in the initial batch would stop the problem.

Peter

·
Registered
697 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 1 Feb 2007, 14:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thats just plain daft. surely if these is huge demand for a model and they have sold out then they should do another batch. surley that is just good business, supply and demand?

Peter
In the case of, for example, 250 Voyagers then another 250 and so on (different numbers etc), not bad for business at all.
It ensures there's a rush for the next limited run.

Of course there's a saturation point when everyone has a few of the models and sales begin to tail off.
This is what happened with the Heljan 47, exacerbated by the announcement of the Bachmann model with correct body width.
It's then time to move on to a new project.

If this is a profitable way to approach the market, then good luck to the manufacturer.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The N gauge market is smaller. Even so this is different from the scenario straccaletto paints , where you are effectively pre-ordering a new model , sight unseen, and it is never openly on sale in shops because pre-orders exceed the production batch - if you don't pre-order (and pay up front) you simply never get one

I believe this is something of an issue in France too, though I got the impression it was less severe there. It seems to afflict Chinese produced stuff , where slots on the production line, not the German producers whose models may be more readily available

This sort of thing happens with Bachmann collectors club specials , but then we've already seen the model in the flesh in a normal version - people do know what they are getting

·
DT
4,794 Posts
QUOTE (Peter_Harvey @ 31 Jan 2007, 13:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Class 66 Shanks diesel loco with onboard sound in the catalogue is the 40th Anniversary livery.

This is also being aoofered to the collectors club members as there own Loco this year the only difference is no sound or on board DCC.

I'm to shore if this dosent make the idea of a special eddition point less, but I'm sure that it will sell.

Pete
The Bachmann Collectors' Club Class 66 locomotive with 40th Anniversary logo is a model of 66540 'Ruby'. This carries standard Freightliner livery. The prototype locomotive was named on 24 January 2006 at Coatbridge. The item is catalogue number 32-726K and retails at £76.20. It is only available to Bachmann Collectors' Club members.

The Shanks liveried locomotive (32-726DS) is different from the earlier version. It has the yellow square behind the side window to denote infrastructure working and has the 40th Anniversary logo. It will have a DCC SOUND decoder fitted and retail at £157.70.

·
Registered
763 Posts
2 words Green Arrow
2 numbers 31-550 and limited ed 31-559 both BR green with late crest. One limited edition one not. Any other differences I don't know
Ramsbury manor, both same livery same crest, same number give or take an A suffix. Same for one of the jubilees. Maybe it is current policy but it's far from set in stone. Their exclusive and only available in sets pledge throws up a few discrepancies too.

·
Registered
763 Posts
However it's a good way to ensure maximum sales of popular items. I recall a certain va va voom car manufacturer doing a batch of Williams special editions with a promise of exclusivity to the buyers only to put out a second batch about a year later.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 31 Jan 2007, 22:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It seems odd that they don't publicise this. Maerklin, Trix and Fleischmann do limited runs of "one time series" locos and trains but they state this openly in advance so the customer knows if he really wants the item he had better get his dosh sorted out and get an advance order in. I know that the Trix ones are often sold out before they are even delivered to the shops. I'm surprised Bachmann don't use the same sales strategy.

Often, the manufactures have a "closing date" for orders & produce just enough to suffice.

A few times we have ordered "one times series" on announcement & find that it is already "sold out".

·
Registered
763 Posts
By all accounts the Heljan Falcon is likely to be on this basis - which for such an exotic item is fair enough (I'm still in shock they announced it at all).

I don't have any particular problem with them not rerunning the same number for a second batch , so long as the livery is still available and batches are large enough to ensure there are normally models available on the shelves

Admittedly my preferred livery (BR Blue) lends itself to lots of numbers and renumbering with Fox obliteration patches is easy enough

1 - 20 of 21 Posts