Model Railway Forum banner

Bachmann LNWR G2 "super D"

11K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  7113 
#1 ·

Seen here is the most recent engineering sample of the forthcoming Branchline G2 steam locomotive. This exciting new OO scale product will now be the first Branchline Steam locomotive model to incorporate a 21 pin decoder socket which has the advantage that 21 pin decoders fit directly into the socket with no need for a wiring harness. Please note that the Branchline catalogue has showed the G2 models as being offered with an 8 pin decoder socket. The DCC socket is located in the tender.

The Branchline G2 models are provided with a Bowen-Cooke style tender that will feature a new adjustable close tender coupling system. The model will be available with or without the tender back cab. A high lever of cab control detail is incorporated in the design along with the prototypical flangeless driving wheels. Recommended retail prices start at £90.25 and is due to be available from your local model shop from mid September.

Also Recently received by Bachmann UK is a sample of the forthcoming Branchline VDA van. This all new tooling will provide an accurate model of this numerous prototype. Introduced in the mid 1970's, these versatile vans can still be seen in use on all parts of the current railways network

See less See more
#2 ·
If ever there was a convincing argument for using scale three link couplings on your layout, the front end of this model is it! All that empty space and a rather clunky looking coupling filling it. Maybe it's just the angle in the photo but it's spoiling what looks to be a rather fine model.

I wonder will there be room for sound in the tender too? Probably not. Still the chance to fit a decoder without messing about with detail laden boilers is a good thing.

Roll on September; there'll be one coming to my layout.

David

#4 ·
QUOTE (Doug @ 5 May 2008, 18:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I get rid of those couplers ASAP. They are awful.

Hope to be getting one of these models too. Perhaps we could collaborate on a review?

Ihave two of these made from brassmasters Kits and somewhat superdeatiled - I'll also buy a couple of the Bachmann though as it looks like it may shape up quite well - and I really want to support anyone who makes "non-south of London" loco's for a change!

It'll be interesting to compare the Brassmasters and the bachmann!

Richard

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Got to agree with everyone about those couplers - they are truely awful !

Thing is, do the manufactures leave the couplings off for the publicity shot or not ? IMHO it would be better to leave them off with maybe a smaller "balloon" pic just showing the front end so modellers can see.

Otherwise it looks a fine model & I look forward to Richard doing a "back to back" with the Brassmasters ones.

The decoder socket in the tender is long overdue & a great improvement.

Although prefering things "Southern" it is a nice change to see a model from "north of Watford".

#6 ·
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 5 May 2008, 11:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Got to agree with everyone about those couplers - they are truely awful !

Thing is, do the manufactures leave the couplings off for the publicity shot or not ? IMHO it would be better to leave them off with maybe a smaller "balloon" pic just showing the front end so modellers can see.

Otherwise it looks a fine model & I look forward to Richard doing a "back to back" with the Brassmasters ones.

The decoder socket in the tender is long overdue & a great improvement.

Although prefering things "Southern" it is a nice change to see a model from "north of Watford".

That coupler does look unsightly to say the least- it's moments like that when I ask myself why I'm still using the damn things....

That's looking promising though- oddly enough, amongst all of the attention-grabbing diesel releases lined up for the next year or so the new model I'm most looking forward to is the G2- that front tension lock is definitely coming off mine as soon as it's out of the box though....

#7 ·
QUOTE Hope to be getting one of these models too. Perhaps we could collaborate on a review?
Sounds like a good idea to me.

David

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
#10 ·
QUOTE (Doug @ 7 May 2008, 20:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I just have to share this photo.

The Super D has been on my computer desktop as a wallpaper for months.

The photo of the loco and a few others in the Barrow Hill Engine Shed is completely mesmerising

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Barrow_...7.10.05_191.JPG

The LNWR G2 "super D" No. 49395 is blowing it's whistle and about to move onto the turntable I presume.

Link to the Barrow Hill Engine Shed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrow_Hill_Engine_Shed

*** AbsolutleyMagic stuff Doug - a great photo and you can almost smell them - it'd be lovely to get that sort of atmosphere on the layout, but I think it would be really hard to create.

I wonder about the sound for this loco - I sincerely hope they don't use the preserved one for it - the recordings I have from way back, especially those of the G2's in Tring cutting all have the G2 sounding like a severely asthmatic grandmother thats puffing on a woodbine... but the rework job on the preserved G2 makes it sound spritely, taut and sharp like any other well maintained steamer - a real shame :) :).

I'll keepworking on trying to recreate the "emphesima shuffle" for mine!

Richard

#11 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 7 May 2008, 13:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wonder about the sound for this loco - I sincerely hope they don't use the preserved one for it - the recordings I have from way back, especially those of the G2's in Tring cutting all have the G2 sounding like a severely asthmatic grandmother thats puffing on a woodbine... but the rework job on the preserved G2 makes it sound spritely, taut and sharp like any other well maintained steamer - a real shame :) :).

I'll keepworking on trying to recreate the "emphesima shuffle" for mine!

Richard

Having seen many at Bescot in the past, yes the noise you describe is why one of their nicknames was 'Wheezer', the other being 'Duck 8', both given for when they were due for 'shopping', the first as you describe, the second , when the main bearings were shot, they rolled (or waddled?), like the 4f's which were 'Duck 6's'.
Paul M.

#12 ·
They've got the flangeless wheel in the correct place, but the wheels don't appear to be the proper 'H' section and a bit spindly too. Seems a shame if we have to add the price of Alan Gibson wheels, surely if he can do them Bachmann should be able to as well?

Also the smokebox support seems to taper to the footplate, but perhaps that's a peculiarity of the photo?

#13 ·
QUOTE (Doug @ 7 May 2008, 12:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I just have to share this photo.

And I for one am glad you did.

Regards

#16 ·
QUOTE Here is a photo of the latest factory painted sample.

That front coupler will not last long on my model. If there is a mounting to go too, so be it. There could be a good market for "unsnipped" models on the Collector circuit in a few years time

David

#19 ·
Overall it looks like a nice model, however only time will tell. That front coupling is awful but without it the loco appears very undressed below the footplate. Is there something missing?

Regards

#20 ·

Photo © Nathan Williamson Source: Wikipedia

From Wikipedia: "The G class were originally introduced in 1906 as modifications of the 4-cylinder compound B Class 0-8-0s by removing their outside cylinders to give a simpler two cylinder layout. From 1912 superheating was introduced and most of the B class were converted into G1 Class, not G Class. The G2 class were new builds with increased boiler pressure from 160lbf/in² to 175psi. Some G1s were converted to G2a classes after their boiler pressure was increased."

So basically, the internal cylinders keep the outside clean.

#22 ·
The apparent absence of the gaurd irons on the model would explain some of the emptiness.

Regards

#23 ·
Well, nice model but I do not like the front end, I picked up on the coupler straight away.
As for the noise of a "D", well having both fired and driven these locos, the noise I can hear now, when they are at work with a train behind them, the noise is two LOUD beats and two softer beats and did you know that a Super "D" was prone to "running" away when moving around either a yard or a shed, the water used to build up and when you opened the regulator and closed it the loco would keep going. Many a driver shook up by them doing this.

#25 ·
QUOTE (Hugh Williams @ 19 May 2008, 18:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have checked with Bachmann, the missing objects, i.e. the guard irons, will be supplied as a separate photo-etch part for fixing by the purchaser.

Well that's good to know - won't this be a first - etched guard irons?

Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.