Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of the Bachmann 'Manor' class locos had 'Overhead Live Wire Warning' markers on the boiler and firebox.

Can anyone recommend a way of removing these without damaging the underlying finish please?

·
Registered
356 Posts
As a newbie I have undertaken changing cabside numbes, logo's etc whilst I have gutted and fitted out the garage and now making baseboards. So far the best way I have found is using T cut. I use a stiff brush ( picked up a great selection of 50 brushes in a pack from "Hobby Lobby" whilst in the States this year) taking care to be local to the item to be removed. It takes a little brushing to get it started but once it starts disappearing it goes quickly. As it is a liquid you do get some liquid running, but it doesn't effect the area unless rubbed. It dries and leave a white residue. Water and a soft brush gets rid of it. T cut is an abraive and does take of the surface a little at a time but has been the least impact to the surface finish I have found. It can be found in car spares and garages. Will watch with interest to see what others suggest.

Ian

·
In depth idiot
7,716 Posts
Most Bachmann applied paint (lining, numbers, names, totems, warning plates) may be removed with just a little white spirit (paint thinner/brush cleaner). Apply it in a way that you can control the application to just the desired area, and don't rub: a cotton bud is usually a good choice. Sometimes it needs more than one application, but it will effect a clean removal with no marks on the underlying paint. T-Cut will do the job, but typically leaves a polished patch. That's my usual method on Hornby, whose paint resists removal by paint thinner.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have removed numbers from Bachmann Mk1 coaches using T-Cut. Funnily enough, there is an article in the current Hornby Magazine (Issue 19, January 2009, page 98) detailing the method used.
I assume this would work with your locomotive "overhead warning markers", as all Bachmann transfers are probably applied by the same process.
Keith

·
Registered
41 Posts
QUOTE (PMP99 @ 15 Dec 2008, 10:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Many of the Bachmann 'Manor' class locos had 'Overhead Live Wire Warning' markers on the boiler and firebox.

Can anyone recommend a way of removing these without damaging the underlying finish please?

working a class 56 now removing logo's i am using tcut with a cotton bud, But as said by 34c it is leaving a polished finish

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I recently did a Bachmann A4 Seagul into Bittern. I removed the cabside numbers with just the end of a wooden cocktail stick, no marks left on the paint.
I have also used Meths on a cotton bud and a fibreglass pencil.The latter is a last resort as I have found the thickness of paint on locos even from the same manufacturer varies greatly and it's easy to rub right back to the plastic without realising.
On the T-Cut front I would recomend Auto-Glym cutting polish rather than T-Cut as it's a finer abrasive.
That goes for use on the car as well as models.

Andii

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have renumbered a lot of my loco and have used surgical spirits ,on a small paint brush.( Do not flood the model in it as you will lift off the lineing)
Then use a cotton bud and gently rub over the numbers and they just lift off.
This way you do not leave any marks on the body.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tips folks.

I experimented removing the warnings from a Bachmann Std 4 tank using meths followed by gentle rubbing with a cocktail stick which worked well.

Graham

1 - 8 of 8 Posts