Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
10,010 Posts
It's good to see so much historical information being published along with the release. At least now I know not to bother looking for a crimson / cream early 50s version. I'll probably still get a maroon version and have a very good excuse for running it in pristine condition.

David

·
Administrator
10,010 Posts
There was a brief thread on coach liveries recently. You can go straight to it from this link.. Somewhere near the bottom you'll find I found a good starting place in Wikipedia.

There is also a page on the Internet which claims to record the details of every Mk1 coach every manufactured in 00. If you search on Mk1 coach and model or a similar combination you should be able to turn it up. Failing that, I think there's a link in a thread somewhere on the Forum. You may be able to turn it up using the "Search" function in the top menu bar.

Best of luck
David

·
Administrator
10,010 Posts
I think the bogies in the photo at the top are Commonwealth.

David

·
Administrator
10,010 Posts
>The buffet facility was reduced to 12ft6inch
Hence miniature I guess. Interesting.

Thanks
David

·
Administrator
10,010 Posts
>Interesting!!! And until recently all MK 1 restaurant cars looked the same to me.
There's a six page article in the 100th anniversary edition of Model Rail on BR Mk1 catering vehicles. My head's now in a flat spin in a sea of R this and R that. I now know that to be truly authentic I have to pair my Crimson & Cream Bachmann RFO with a Comet RK kit. I have not yet dipped my toe into the soldered brass arena and having read through Comet's online tutorial, I don't think I'm ready for it just yet.

David

·
Administrator
10,010 Posts
>the first thing I read was the article you refer to
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

>I shouldn't even be running them on my supposedly mid 1958 based layout.
I think we can all get a bit too carried away on dates. I suspect their main use is to keep our appetite for rolling stock and locomotives within reasonable limits.

There's no reason why we can't "showcase" trains from a particular era or even model a particular named train over a 10 or 20 year life time.

David

·
Administrator
10,010 Posts
>so no Mini's
Ah, not even one of the first off the production line in September 1959?

David

·
Administrator
10,010 Posts
>Fraid not David
Fairy nuff, it's your layout.

I am tempted to start a parody of a Python sketch - "How about a split screen Morris Minor then?" but I won't.

David

·
Administrator
10,010 Posts
>such a icon on the roads
That wasn't what my father would call them as we would labour behind them for mile after mile on the single carriage way roads of the sixties

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.