Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A simple question... Can someone explain to me the difference between a mk2s and a mk2a? The photo's in the catalogue (presumably pre-production) appear to be identical.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I have little interest in coaches that come much after Mk1 BR stock and so don't have a reference book on them. But according to 'British Rail 1948 - 78 A journey by Design', the Mk2A had "wider windows and some XP64 details compared to the first Mark 2s". I don't know exactly what this means as there is no actual diagrams in the book showing what these differences are. Captions to some of the pictures and the text indicate these included seats as fitted to the XP64 prototypes, so perhaps it was mostly internal details.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think this could be one of those things to leave to the magazine reviewers as i'm sure they will know of any differences miniscule or otherwise.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Spongebob

It is misprint. It should be Mk2 and Mk2a, or Mk2(z) and Mk2a.

Bachmann like a lot of individuals picked that up from the plural of Mk2. ie. Mk2s.

Mk2 coaches were later re-classified as Mk2(z), so it's a matter of choice whether it should read Mk2 or Mk2(z).

The main differences:-

Mk2(z) - Vacuum Braked Steam Heated
Mk2a - Air Braked Dual Heated

1 - 4 of 4 Posts