Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts

Electrical Sub-Station. Click here for larger image.

Bachmann Europe Plc today announced at its Annual Trade Open Day that it is to introduce N and OO gauge buildings which will be marketed under the 'Scenecraft' name.

Manufactured in high quality cast resin, the ready built models are pre-painted and will enhance any model railway layout.

Colin Allbright, Bachmann's Design Engineer said "we have deliberately chosen a range of buildings that will compliment others already on the market. We have a nice mix of properties in our portfolio and at prices which are much cheaper than you will find in your local estate agents".

Gasometer. Click here for larger image.

The range will initially comprise of:

N
Scale Scenecraft

RRP

376-750

90' Diameter Gasometer

£ 17.95

376-751

Gas Retort Building

£ 8.95

376-752

Electrical Sub Station

£ 9.95

376-753

Station Masters House

£ 6.95

376-754

"The Nags Head" Country Inn

£ 8.95

376-755

"Cadeby" Village
School / Chapel

£ 7.95

376-756

Modern Detached House

£ 8.95

376-757

Timber Frame Goods Shed

£ 6.50

376-758

Village Station

£ 6.95

376-759

Weighbridge Office

£ 2.50

376-760

"Martins Corner" House and Smithy

£ 8.50

376-761

Water Tower

£ 4.50

376-762

Country Station

£ 6.50

OO
Scale
Scenecraft

RRP

36-751

Gas Retort Building

£ 10.95

36-752

Electrical Sub Station

£ 11.95

36-753

Station Masters House

£ 9.50

36-754

"The Nags Head" Country Inn

£ 10.50

36-755

"Cadeby" Village
School / Chapel

£ 9.95

36-756

Modern Detached House

£ 9.95

36-757

Timber Frame Goods Shed

£ 9.50

36-758

Village Station

£ 10.50

36-759

Weighbridge Office

£ 5.95

36-760

"Martins Corner" House and Smithy

£ 10.95

36-761

Water Tower

£ 5.95

36-762

Country Station

£ 9.50

<br

Cadeby Village School. Click here for larger image.

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 17 Jul 2006, 16:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bachmann Europe Plc today announced at its Annual Trade Open Day that it is to introduce N and OO gauge buildings which will be marketed under the 'Scenecraft' name.

Manufactured in high quality cast resin, the ready built models are pre-painted and will enhance any model railway layout.

Colin Allbright, Bachmann's Design Engineer said "we have deliberately chosen a range of buildings that will compliment others already on the market. We have a nice mix of properties in our portfolio and at prices which are much cheaper than you will find in your local estate agents".

Any photos of the OO models? (Or the N, for that matter).

This is interesting, since it would appear to mark Bachmann's movement into the scenic side of things. I am interested by the "modern house"- modern buildings (with the exception of the bus shelter/industrial unit/AWS buildings) don't really feature in Skaledale, so this is something to look forward to!

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Photos should be coming in the next 24 hours if they 'let them out' at this stage.

The replease implies that they ill fit in with the Skaledale rage of resin moulded products - good for those of us who have invested in that already.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>unlike a model car if I screw up the finish I can just add more weathering
You could always switch to rally cars - how about a Paris-Dakar competitor after a roll in the desert?

David

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 17 Jul 2006, 18:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>or Destruction Derby. But let me ask a question what's the allure of these built resin kits? Why not plastic? Why not wood?

They're not really kits, in that they are made solely as ready-to-use models.

Their attraction- sheer convenience. Due to the usual "lack of time" here in the UK, people want to concentrate on what they like most- 7 time out of 10 that is locos and stock. Readymade buildings also let people know that they're getting something highly detailed at a good price. They know that they won't mess it up through glue or paint or whathaveyou, and that the building (should be) easier to put in place on the layout. And, if that's your sort of thing, they can easily have lights or interiors fitted, saving time again if you want detail for less temporal outlay...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I just find it interesting that they are not more popular in the States where everybody is supposed to be in such a big hurry. May also be becuase they are cheaper to produce in small runs. I had one ore two Arnold resin houses on my old layout and they were good for filling in empty spaces.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Another reason could be that if you have a large layout and have a substantial amount of buldings to make you canget a bit kitted out after a while. Especially if you are making the same one over and over again. I have a mixture of ready made buildings and kits and balance it a bit. Some of the ready made ones have better quality painting than I am likely to be able to do. However there is a far greater range of kits available and more scope for individuality.

What attracts me to these kits and the Skaledale (sounds a bit to much like Windscale to me) ones is the price. They are cheaper than many kits and when you add the time factor theres no competition. My only problem with them is the locality they represent is not the area I model. But for the majority of British modellers it is so I think they are very good overall. However I tend to buy more of the Harburn Hobbies product which is plaster based and more Scottish in style as they suit my layout.

·
Registered
370 Posts
My purchases of kits tend to be Ratio or other plastic kits and Metcalf ( mainly low relief for back scene work). Many of these have been bought to get something done and looking "finished" with the intention of replacing them with scratchbuilt structures later. Having said that some of the results have been quite good, so the question is "will they ever be replaced?".
Up to now I have not bought many ready made buildings as they always used to be below par.
I have started to use some Ten Commandments product, where the only thing needed is paint.
So what about Scaledale? Is the quality good enough for an "exhibition standard" layout?
The other thing I'm considering is Townstreet buildings. I've been told that they are a lot of work, but from what I see of the finished results they are superb, even if a little expensive.
If you have experience of any of the above, please add your " three penny worth", as I intend to spend a lot of time and effort this winter on building construction / finishing.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE The other thing I'm considering is Townstreet buildings. I've been told that they are a lot of work, but from what I see of the finished results they are superb, even if a little expensive.

I have a few Town street models and they are my best.
They are a bit of work but not more than a plastic kit just different skills are required. Quite honestly I have not seen a better finish on a building. They are dear but I beleive them to be the best in terms of realism. You get what you pay for. I did buy mine from Jim Hendry when he had the business but I have no reason to beleive there will be any difference with the new guy running it. It's worth getting a catalogue from him to see what they have to offer as there is a lot of modular items as well as complete building kits.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Yes I have a quite a few of their buildings as well, the finish is brilliant. The last one I tackled was the Warehouse.Warehouse on left
I still have the signal box to complete. Mind you when you compair Scaledale for the price, they do represent good value for money.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Neil, I've bought a catalogue and looked at the range. Now can't decide which to start with! Modular or complete building. Also checked out the link (thanks Makemineadouble ) and seen the warehouse. Seems good to me! Could I ask the origin of the second building on the canal side ( Buff colour in the picture & slightly smaller ) and also the canal lock gates, are they Langley's? Sorry to be a pain, but if you don't ask, you don't know. Thanks to you both.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE Neil, I've bought a catalogue and looked at the range. Now can't decide which to start with! Modular or complete building

I would recommend having a go at a complete building first and once you have got the idea of how to assemble them then go with the modular. With the modular you need to plan what components you need. Whereas the compete building provides all the bits you need. Probably phone the guy who runs Townstreet now and discuss what you intend to make and he could advise you on what components are neccessary.

I like the warehouse that MMaD has. I had thought about that too but was also tossing up with the factory. It's hard to choose some times.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
The buff coloured building in the photo is a Skaledale cottage, I adopted it as a lock keepers cottage.
The lock gates are langley as are most of the narrow boats. Although you can't see them in this photo further up are some Faller warehouses, they are easy to split in two, and also contrubute to the sceen, and their cheap.

I used masonite for the basis of my canal (Hardboard in the UK) I painted this dark dirty blue grey and the used several coats of polyuretain and the appearance was quite good. If your modelling a lock don't foget the steel steps in the centre of each lock, and couple of bollards used to steady the boat with the centre line.

Re narrow boats, when I was boating on the Grand Union a few years back in one of the canalside shop I found a range of cheap almost to scale narrow boats, and at 6 or 7 quid were much cheaper than the Langley kits.
BTW I can recommend narrow boat holidays, we've had some great trips. The only major canal we hav'nt tried
is the Leeds and Liverpool, we have a boat in early September to give this a spin.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Images added. Please see first post for full size photos.

Great looking models.

Please note: These are resin mouldings. They have been especially handpainted for the open day last weekend and that the windows show will be glazed on the final versions (as their American equivalents).

They are not solid buildings and it will be possible to install lighting etc. if that's what the purchaser wishes to do.

They seem to very similar to Skaledale and will complement any layout with existing resin, card or plastic models.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts