Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Nelson, Lord Anson to be precise. I got it on ebay for a good price and it is in mint condition and it runs very well indeed, quiet and powerful for an older generation model. The problem is the awful chimney. It is very crude. For a start I would like to drill the chimney out; that might improve matters but I do not want to ruin it. I have seen that there are replacements available. Who makes them and are they difficult to fit. It seems to be a one piece moulding of smoke box boiler and chimney. I know there is someone out there who will know the answers so thank you in advance

·
Registered
36 Posts
Markits make a very good one in brass.

Code: MaChsVLch

[email protected]

Last time someone asked this question the item wasn't in their current catalogue but he still managed to get one from them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
QUOTE (Don @ 25 Jan 2008, 17:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Markits make a very good one in brass.

Code: MaChsVLch

[email protected]

Last time someone asked this question the item wasn't in their current catalogue but he still managed to get one from them.

I agree. Markits do a nice brass chimney and I think it is still available. I got two only a couple of months ago

see the following image for an idea of the difference it makes. The two photos are the same locomotive. Top with standard Bachmann chimney, Bottom with the Markits item

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1751/ln...mparisonzp6.jpg

Regards Norm

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to you all. I took the plunge and drilled out the chimney. That improved matters immeasurably. I also contacted Markits. Had a long chat with Mark. I expect you all know he has a lot to do with hornby R & D. He told me that he no longer puts chimneys etc on the website but he still stocks them. Since he is a Southern nut we had a very long chat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts