Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear that Bachmann Europe is to introduce a better detailed class 108 DMU. I wonder in actual time factor, when this model will come on the market - previous model took over two years before being offered to the model fraternity.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Looking on their homepage it looks like they are doing the various other types of power and trailer car plus some tweaks. Metal buffers no less. Is it coincidence that someone in rail express was moaning about the latest incarnation of the class 37 still having plastic ones and within a couple of weeks Bachmann change them on the 108???

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE Metal buffers no less.
Hmm. I'm not so sure about that. This is a prototype for approval, so I would guess that it's easier to turn a few brass buffers than go to the trouble of creating the moulds and hope that I'd got the buffer design right. In other words, I would be surprised to see brass buffers go into production.

David

·
Registered
763 Posts
QUOTE I hear that Bachmann Europe is to introduce a better detailed class 108 DMU. I wonder in actual time factor, when this model will come on the market - previous model took over two years before being offered to the model fraternity.

Actually it's been in the shops since last Christmas . The Bachmann 108 is a very fine model - certainly the best British DMU yet produced.I've got one , it runs beautifully and looks superb. There is no plan to replace it, although Bachmann are tooling a centre car for it so they can offer 3 car versions as well as 2 car versions. They will also need to offer both driving trailers as powered (meaning a seond underframe) and this then opens the way to the Power Twin 2 car sets.

Extension and development of the existing fine model , not replacement

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE Bachmann are tooling a centre car for it so they can offer 3 car versions as well as 2 car versions. They will also need to offer both driving trailers as powered (meaning a seond underframe) and this then opens the way to the Power Twin 2 car sets.

Judging by the two photos and "alphabeti spagheti" announcement (I have no idea what the mnemonics mean) on the current Bachmann front page, it looks like your wishes are coming true.

Given my chosen time period and location, the 108s are a bit late for me. Derby lightweights would be nice, but seeing that they had a relatively short "in service" life span the chances of an RTR unit are probably pretty slim. I will have to check out the kit offering at Warley in December.

David

·
Registered
763 Posts
QUOTE Derby lightweights would be nice, but seeing that they had a relatively short "in service" life span the chances of an RTR unit are probably pretty slim. I will have to check out the kit offering at Warley in December.

I think I would check the kit offering , but possibly hold off buying anything till the New Year.

Its a slightly long shot , but apparently it would be relatively easy to develop the original Lightweights from the 108 - it seems the bodies were the same but the ends differed. Bachmann only need to tool up 2 new bodyshells with revised ends to fitr the existing underframes/mechanism and they are there. Given that the original Lightweights were actually longer lived than the 9Fs and had a pretty wide range, it is quite possible they will do this as the ultimate development of the 108 project - it would be qucker and cheaper than going for a Cravens. But an announcement could still be a few years off and actually being able buy one still further away

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Thanks for that insight Ravenser.
There is so much to do on my layout that waiting a couple of years for some DMUs is not a big deal but it does mean that laying in some single ended storage in the new fiddle yard I have planned may well be a good "banker" for the future.

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts