Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts

[Image: Rail Express Modeller]

We have some Press releases that have come out of Barwell, like a string of London buses out of Hammersmith

QUOTE Bachmann release Class 37/4 locomotives

Bachmann Europe PLC has released the first of its Class 37/4 locomotives in the form of 37410 'Aluminium 100' (Catalogue No. 32-382).

309 locomotives were built by English Electric between 1960 and 1965. Following a major refurbishment programme in the mid 1980s, 31 locomotives were fitted with electrical train heating for use on passenger services, including 37410 which was used on the West Highland Line in Scotland.

The Class 37 locomotives have high route availability and some thirty locomotives across each of the sub-classes remain in service with a number of current operators including EWS, DRS, Eurostar and West Coast Railway Company. A large number have also been preserved for use on heritage lines. A number of locomotives have also seen use working engineering trains for major infrastructure projects in France and Spain.

The recommended retail price of the Class 37/4 locomotive is £65.15. The model features opening cab doors, working cab lights and etched fan grille.

QUOTE Class 37 locomotives

A number of rumours have been circulating regarding the status of the recently introduced Class 37 locomotives.

During transit a number of locomotives were damaged and could not be released. Those that were released were checked prior to despatch and no damage was found.

Graham Hubbard, Managing Director of Bachmann Europe Plc said today "It is regrettable that damage has occurred to some locomotives but these and subsequent batches will require revised packaging to avoid this problem in future".

QUOTE Bachmann win two Model Rail 2006 'Model of the Year Awards'

Bachmann Europe PLC is delighted to receive two awards from model railway magazine 'Model Rail' in its 2006 'Model of the Year' competition.

In the steam locomotive category, the Bachmann 9f Class locomotive was the winner claiming 40% of the vote. In the rolling stock category, the Metro-Cammell Mark 1 Pullman cars secured a third of the vote to secure top spot.

Managing Director Graham Hubbard said "we have won a number of awards on the continent for our Liliput range but this is the first such competition to be held in the UK and we were delighted to be awarded two top places. We would like to thank all the Model Rail readers who voted for us and reassure them that we have a number of exciting projects which we trust will do well in next years competition".

QUOTE Graham Farish Voyager test shots displayed at N Gauge Society AGM

Bachmann Europe PLC displayed the first shots of the new Voyager driving car at the Annual General Meeting of the N Gauge Society held in Redhill on Saturday 26 May.

Some of the first components of the forthcoming Class 37 locomotive were also seen, together with working examples of the new Class 04 diesel shunter. Undecorated samples of the new Jubilee with single and double chimneys, long and short fireboxes, smooth and riveted tenders were on show together with both bogie types.

Graham Hubbard, Managing Director said "having refurbished the mechanisms of the inherited Graham Farish range, we are now concentrating on new projects which will push N gauge production to new limits. We have a number of exciting new releases nearing completion and many new models for release in the coming months".

·
Registered
763 Posts
The 9F and Metro-Camm Mk1 Pullmans are worthy winners .

Discussion on another forum indicated they could haul up to 40 coaches on the flat , and the model is as
good a steam engine as we have yet seen, despite the difficulties of the wheel arrangement and the daylight between the boiler and the chassis which has implications for how you arrange the drive train.

Coaches are something that Bachmann have a tradition of doing well - they are generally one step ahead of Hornby in this area.

Interesting that there seems to be an increasing emphasis on N gauge for the future. The N gauge Jubilee sounds as if it will be out well before the 4mm version. I'm not sure we've even seen pre-production models of a 4mm Jubilee. If the N gauge 37 is as good as the new OO one , that will set a whole new benchmark in British N RTR, which has traditionally been about a generation behind OO RTR

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>they are generally one step ahead of Hornby in this area.
Hornby announced their Model Rail award on their web site a few weeks ago. I wondered who had won the steam category, and now we know. I have a 9F (single chimney, early crest) and I am very pleased with it. I will probably get this year's single chimney version as well.

David

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I saw the Hornby news story a while ago. Here it is.

There is a slight problem with this though... see below.

I'm no engineer, but as I see it, those cogs will bind. Three diameters, same tooth size, three cogs touching each other... seizure.

If the large cog rotates clockwise, any cog connected to it will rotate anti-clockwise, and any cog attached to the second will go clockwise again. Here the third cog is attached to the first and second cogs.

Does this symbolize a good model? If I had a model with a gearbox like that, I'd send it back to the shop.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE I'm no engineer, but as I see it, those cogs will bind. Three diameters, same tooth size, three cogs touching each other... seizure.

If the large cog rotates clockwise, any cog connected to it will rotate anti-clockwise, and any cog attached to the second will go clockwise again. Here the third cog is attached to the first and second cogs.

Does this symbolize a good model? If I had a model with a gearbox like that, I'd send it back to the shop.

That would explain the Pendelino's performance then

·
In depth idiot
7,673 Posts
Very well deserved for the 9F. I really had doubts when the drive train was described before it was out. But all three of mine are real troupers, run freely and quietly, and will pull any realistic load. Did a tender swap with a friend so that I could have a single chimney BR1F, and he could have a d/c with BR1C.

As for the Met-Camms, my wife liked the detail and lights so much, she bought the set. Considering what they offer in 'extras' over the mk1's the price is very reasonable.
QUOTE (Doug @ 30 May 2007, 20:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I saw the Hornby news story a while ago. Here it is.

There is a slight problem with this though... see below.

I'm no engineer, but as I see it, those cogs will bind. Three diameters, same tooth size, three cogs touching each other... seizure.

No. it's an advertising concept of a good job: looks impressive, who cares if it actually works?

·
DT
4,794 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 1 Jun 2007, 13:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... it's an advertising concept of a good job: looks impressive, who cares if it actually works?

I see it as a machine that is doomed not to work and therefore the associated value of the award (for miniature mechanical models) drops off a bit.

The irony of this is that I too voted for the 9F (review) - a great model, but my model suffered from a seized gearbox (see here). A good model all the same that will see quite a bit of mainline use on my layout.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts