Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Graham Farish used to do an OO range which Bachmann presumably have inherited.

As part of that OO range Graham Farish offered for sale the Liveway track system which had OO scale sleepers. It was not a set track and it was based around a flexible track type offering with points etc in the range. It was Code 100. The patent number for the track is 588775 and presumably Bachmann have control of Graham Farish patents.

If Bachmann do not wish to use the moulds maybe they should consider selling them to somebody who does?

Or have the moulds been destroyed or are they worn or not capable of being used with current technology?

Or is the OO market for scale track really too small to sustain production on the sort of scale required to make any possible effort in this direction worthwhile?

Any thoughts?

Happy modelling
Gary

PS I am looking at some Liveway track right now and it got me thinking!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I think the moulds must be 40 years old. Liveway's been off the market for thirty years

The story goes that one year (I think 1977) old man Farish went to the Toy Fair. This was the year Airfix, Mainline , and Rivarossi all announced new models of the Royal Scot in OO (Actually I think Rivarossi's was HO , and unrebuilt)

Old man Farish was so shocked he was still shaking his head when he got into the factory next moring .

"They've gone mad" he told his people. "We're getting out of OO completely".

Within 18 months all Grafar's OO stuff had been discontinued, and they did nothing but N ever after

Within 4 years Airfix and Mainline had both folded , Rivarossi's British stuff had vanished into the mists, and surplus Scots were being dumped by the liquidators through every available outlet for a tenner and were destorying the market for OO RTR locos

This year both Bachmann and Hornby have announced Rebuilt Royal, Scots - in Bachmann's case to replace the original inherited model

I suspect reintrodued Liveway might well sell .

But did any of Grafar's OO tooling reach Bachmann ? In the circumstances , it may well have been sent for scrap in the early 80s.....

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
What about the running qualities?, early Farish 00 stuff looked carp and ran worse than that, you'll be want to reintroduce Tri-ang next. While I have admiration for those that want to run and enjoy aged stock I'm not one of them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts