Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LMS 4-6-0 major OO upgrade programme announced

Bachmann Europe Plc today announced at its Annual Trade Open Day that it is to upgrade its range of LMS 4-6-0 locomotives over the next year by introducing new body tooling and a new chassis to accommodate DCC sockets. The range which currently includes members of the Jubilee, Patriot and Royal Scot classes were originally inherited from the former Mainline range which had been produced by Bachmann's parent company, Kader. The tooling for these locomotives is between 25 and 30 years old and these old favourites can be retired gracefully.

Graham Hubbard, Managing Director said "when we introduced these locomotives they were fitted with a split chassis which does not lend itself for easy conversion to DCC operation. We have started a programme of upgrading chassis to ensure that these models are DCC ready in future. In addition to providing new chassis, we will also produce new tooling for the bodywork which will enable us to take advantage of the many advances that have been made since the original models were produced. These will in effect be brand new models which will be to the same high standards as our other Blue Riband releases. We can utilise the Fowler tender from our Crab Class locomotive to produce long and short firebox Jubilees, original and rebuilt Patriots and original and rebuilt Royal Scots".

Work on the upgrade has now begun with the drawing work underway and the new models will gradually be introduced into the range.

Further details regarding these models will be released at the London Toy Fair in January 2007.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>We have started a programme of upgrading chassis to ensure that these models are DCC ready in future.
That's a welcome piece of news.

David

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I can tell you is that Bachmann are looking towards the future.

They are well aware of the possibilities of DCC and digital sound. Any loco that would be improved with sound is being given a thorough looking at. Bachmann know that to fit sound decoders and mini speakers, modification of the chassis is quite often necessary.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>Bachmann know that to fit sound decoders and mini speakers, modification of the chassis is quite often necessary.

OK; so if anyone from the Bachmann design department is lurking here monitoring our ramblngs, I'm going to repeat my suggestion that make provision in the chassis for mounting a sensor for detecting wheel position for feedback to a sound unit for synchronisation. A slotted disc on a non-driven axle with an emitter and detector mounted in each chassis frame would do the trick.

It would also be a good idea to have a "trough" in the chassis feeding back under the footplate for a cable run. The cable for this could terminate in an electrical socket which also formed part of an alternate "fine scale" tender connection.

David

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Bachmann have made really improved their products in recent years. It going to nice to see the end of the split frame chassis, this implies these models will be improved or retooled in time:
Ivatt tank
B1
V2
Scot
Parallel boilered scot
V1/3
Std class 4
GWR Mogal
04 Shunter
A4
J39
Lord Nelson

I just wish that Bachmann would fit tender pickups like the do with their spectrum range. This would really improve the running and allow a DCC plug to positioned in the tender.

·
Registered
370 Posts
A dozen locos re-tooled and improved? Don't hold your breath! It would be nice to see the end of the split frame chassis though, wouldn't it.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
its about time they had the makeover.

Ivatt tank
B1
V2
Scot
Parallel boilered scot
V1/3
Std class 4
GWR Mogal
04 Shunter
A4
J39
Lord Nelson

many of these would simply not be done because they have been superseeded anyway. i happen to like the bachmann A4 almost as much as the hornby. i dont think it looks dated at all. the same with the V2 and the ivatt. i dont have the others so i cant comment.

Split frame chassis?? they went the way of the do do years ago. none of the ex-mainline loco's on that list that i have are split frame.

Peter

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
You'd better double check then because their all split frame.
BTW I was told that the Ivatt consistantly remains one of Bachmanns best sellers.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
about 8 years ago many of them were replaced with a "super-smooth" chassis with a can motor. rather than the split frame chassis with a pancake.

i have the V2, the A4 and the ivatt. all with can motors and smooth chassis. they are great runners and more than hold their own against some other much newer models. i think this was done when they were bought into the "blue riband" range.
i have the J72 with a split frame and a pancake motor and it has burnt out about 4 times since i got it. i have given up getting it repaired.as well as a pair of patriots and a manor. all of which are very noisy and sound like number 7 bsses.

Peter

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I have more than ten scots. Those that are more than ten do indeed have split frame chassis, however all made in the last few years definetly do not have split frames!

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
My V2 which is about 3 years old has a can motor and what I would call a split frame chassis - two hunks of die cast metal joined down the centre line of the loco. It's a nice runner, but I am not looking forward to converting it to DCC.

The current service sheet on the Bachmann website shows exactly what I've got. So are there later editions of the V2 with the super smooth chassis?

I have two Mainline J72s with the pancake. One runs well. The other can be temperamental for no reason that I have managed towork out yet.

David

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>the loco's with the can motor are easy to convert, just convert the cans in exactly hte same way as you do any other loco

I shall take another look - thanks

David

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
looking at again. you may have to remove the plastic boittom plate and the wheels and split the 2 halves of the frame to get at the solder tags on the motor. its a bit more complecated than i thought but still not a big deal.
just remember to put a bit of insulation over the solder tags when your finished so that they dont touch the chassis.

peter

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>remove ... wheels
which means valve gear and circlips and .....
I've just gone off the idea again.

Never mind
David

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Ok. You've convinced me, but please forgive me if I don't try until temperatures in the loft have abated somewhat.

David

1 - 20 of 23 Posts