Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've read about them in a review of the bachmann pullmans i'll try and dig it out dor you.

I know that its one of the hornby type but not sure which.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Spongebob. This question has been asked on other sites and yet no answers. I wonder where these coaches ran in real life. Did they spend a lot of time in carriage sidings?

·
Registered
763 Posts
The review says the 1928 type and that hornby making them and goes on about the massive colour difference between the 2 types, the picture appears to be of a flat sided hornby pullman as opposed to the matchwood ones. It also suggested the older hornby type may be a closer match to bachmann's colours. I'm no pullman expert and have got rid of one of hornby's latest pullmans due to it derailing and not coupling properly to anything else.

However I have found several pictures of them in the book Treacey's British Rail they again aren't all clear, focusing more on the loco than the rolling stock but they again suggest the flat sided type, interesting selection of motive power too, we have
D0280 Lion on the Yorkshire Pullman from Leeds Central to Kings Cross,
class 46 D177 again on the Yorkshire pullman, this states it had 6mk1's with a 1928 brake at the rear,
class 37 D6813 on the master cutler Sheffield to Kings Cross,
class 47 D1519 with the White rose pullman from Kings cross to to Harrogate which split at Leeds with part going to Bradford.the above service apparently replaced the Queen of scots service and there is also a picture of an unnamed D9010 hauling that service again with mk1's and an older brake,
and finally a picture of D9017 in a somewhat heavily weathered state departing Kings Cross with another Yorkshire Pullman service.
All the pics are from the early to mid 1960's and perhaps the most interesting is the picture of Lion which might be something a bit different. however it was only briefly used for a month or so prior to withdrawal in October 1963.

Hopefully that has been some help and indeed has helped me make up my mind to acquire a few more than the 1 I already have being as how they were used in and around my patch so to speak. Not too sure about suitable end of the line steam haulage though possibly A1 or A3 maybe even an A4 might be acceptable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There are also some colour pictures in the recent publication "Diesel Pioneers" by David N. Clough published by Ian Allan showing some of the trains mentioned above.

What is interesting about these pictures is that the colours of the Pullman brakes and Mk.1 Pullmans are very similar - not the very different colours used by Bachmann and Hornby.....and looking at the pictures I think that Hornby has used the closest colours as mentioned by Spongebob.....

With regard to the actual Pullman brakes being used with the Mk.1 Pullmans I think I read somewhere that they are a different batch to that modelled by Hornby...think they were built after 1928.

Keith

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I've been doing a bit of research.
The Marsden DVD "City of Leeds" has a brief clip of the Bradford portion of a Yorkshire Pullman. The brake coach is definitely one of the earlier style vehicles. Although it is hard to tell, I get the impression that the colours are noticeably different. The loco is a B1.

I also have a book entitled "Steam in the West Riding". I have come across 3 photos of Pullman trains - two Bradford portions and one Queen of Scots. In the Bradford portions the brakes look like standard Mk1 full brakes. The first is maroon and the second is blue/grey. The locos are a B1 and a Fairburn 2-6-4 tank. The Queen of Scots is hauled by Saint Mungo which is deputising for a failed Deltic.

I guess it means you can run pretty much anything you like ;-) These are just the photographed instances...

David

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have also found a picture of the older type pullmans forming the Harrogate portion of the Sunday Pullman and the second car is an ordinary mk1 1st class all pulled by a standard 4 tank,as you say anything goes. That is in a book called Leeds termini and there are a wealth of facts and photos of the area dating back to the time when Leeds had 3 stations and umpteen goods yards. A snip at £6.99.
Those were the days, rolling into Harrogate onboard a luxury service ehat do they get now? once an hour on a nodding Donkey! I've travelled the route on one and the name is wholly deserved I dont think i've ever seen a corridor connection move in so many different directions simultaneously. They refurbished them and they are supposed to be so much better that the commuters mistook them for new trains, one shudders to think how they used to be.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I haven't come across any photos in the newer grey and blue livery yet. Possibly something to do with the timescale they operated in straight after the end of steam around the time all the "real" train enthusiasts hung up their cameras in a huff. Cheers you guys, we young whippersnappers rely on old photos to tell how it was and you miss out a key period in railway history.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you all for your help and I can now mooch through the plethora of books and videos/ DVD's that I have in the hope that I will find a visual reference.If anyone fancy's posting pics that would be a great help.

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (spongebob @ 19 Feb 2006, 23:03)I haven't come across any photos in the newer grey and blue livery yet. Possibly something to do with the timescale they operated in straight after the end of steam

They certainly were around in steam days!,-and there's plenty of photographic evidence to prove it!,-you've just got to do a bit of research
[which is the fun bit]

Cinerail 'West Riding Steam' video shows them,-and in the book,-'Celebration of Steam:West Riding',by Peter Waller there is a photo of B1 no 61306 with at least one in it's train formation,taken on 30th September 1967...
just a couple I could lay my hands on straight away.....

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
After market label detail supplier
Apart from having a wide range of labels to customise (and correct) your collection of Pullmans, this site has a wealth of prototype information as well

David

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've just seen a brief glimpse of some grey/blue mk1 pullmans being hauled by a deltic on the episode of trains with Pete Waterman they showed today. Not a very long clip and only maybe half a glimpse of a couple of carriages but definitely Pullman reverse livery.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Just bought a copy of Diesels in the Pennines by Derek Huntriss and there are a couple of pictures that back up a bit i read in one of the reviews of the mk1 pullman that mk1 BG's were used in either maroon or blue and grey.
One shows DP2 leading a maroon one then the pullmans but the other more bizarrely shows D1103 leading 3 pullmans then a blue and grey BG then 4 more pullmans!
For alternative motive power and maybe a shorter rake there is also a class 25 pulling 5 pullmans trailed by a blue grey BG again.
More food for thought and save the hassle of matching hornby and bachmann colours.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again Spongebob and all you other helpful people. I will now run them with a mix of all sorts, diesel and steam.

·
Registered
487 Posts
In the 1960s a Pullman train travelled each day at midday between Glasgow and Edinburgh on the LNER - Queens Street Glasgow and the Waverley Station in Edinburgh.

Edinburgh main stations - Waverley - Princess Street - Haymarket.

Glasgow main stations - Central - St. Enoch - Buchannan Street.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts