Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bachmann Europe Plc has released the new E-Z Command 3 function decoder with "Back EMF" (item number 36-553). This decoder measures the amount of Back EMF and adjusts the amount of power fed to the motor.
This Brand new design also features High Frequency Pulse Width Modulation that can produce a fantastically smooth performance across all speed settings. This technology will be included on many of our DCC ready locomotives including the soon to be released 32-076DC 56xx and 32-750DC Class 57 Diesel.

What is "Back EMF"?
When a motor is turned by applying a voltage it also acts as a generator but the generated voltage acts against the voltage of the supply. This is called the 'back ElectroMotive Force' or 'back EMF' for short. Its magnitude is related to the speed of the motor: the decoder measures this, and by frequent monitoring of the level of the back EMF it can determine a change in speed of the motor and make a correction back to the desired speed by adjusting the voltage applied to the motor in a split second to ensure optimum performance.

This enables the decoder to keep the motor turning at the selected speed. It is of particular benefit when running the train at low speeds but of less benefit at higher speeds. Unlike the DC feedback controllers which can often give poor running because the control characteristics do not suit the motor, this decoder has user configurable settings to precisely set the control characteristics to match the requirements of the motor and give excellent results. It can turn a motor so slowly that the rotation of the armature is readily apparent.
Back EMF control has previously been a feature of higher specified decoders. Bachmann Europe are pleased to be distributing a decoder with this feature but at a budget price.

Technical features

► High frequency 31.25Khz pulse power for quiet operation
► User configurable Back EMF control
► 3 function outputs to control functions on the locomotive (eg lighting)
► Function button controlled reduced shunting speed
► Function button selectable inertia
► NMRA DCC with 14, 28, 128 speed steps
► 2-digit addresses (1 to 127)
► Overload protection on outputs
► Accepts all programming methods
► Operable on DC controlled layouts
► Supports Lenz® brake sections
► Overload protection of motor and function circuits

Technical specifications

Current carrying capacity:
Motor Output - 700mA
Function outputs - 180mA each - total 350mA
Speed steps - 14,28,128
Addresses - 1-127
Dimensions - 25.5 x 15.5 x 4.5 mm

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
QUOTE Following recent debates that have taken place on a model railway related website, it is with regret that I have to inform you all that Bachmann Europe Plc will no longer provide facilities to website based publications. All press releases and announcements will be posted on our own website (www.bachmann.co.uk) in the press release section on day of issue.

Bachmann Europe will continue to provide information to paper based model railway publications.

I am sure that you will appreciate the need for us to take this action and would like to thank you for your past support.

Dennis Lovett

Public Relations Manager

For those of you that don't read the other forum, Bachmann have thrown a tantrum following adverse comments on the specifications of this decoder. In particular the lack of four digit addressing, and restricted number of CV's.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The manufacturers are our friends and Bachmann's reaction is understandable although I am not entirely sure what facilities they provided to the site in question. It is unfortunate that Model Rail Forum and Pat Hammond's mremag should suffer on the back of content that is unacceptable and destructive on a site for which we and Pat have no control.

I have been in the company of Dennis Lovett and he is a great guy with Wisden like knowledge of the industry. Why should he have to suffer the pathetic and very public personal abuse offered up elsewhere?

We do our best to run a friendly ship here at Model Rail Forum and will continue to edit or delete posts that are not in the spirit of the Model Rail Forum franchise.

I personally enjoy the company of the members who elect to participate here and I am absolutely positive that every other Model Rail Forum member feels the same way.

Long may it continue!

EZcommand is a low cost value DCC starter system for beginners and no doubt the new components have been designed with this user in mind.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I realise that Bachmann are new to DCC and they want to keep the cost down so EZ command users will use their products, Hattons list this decoder at 9GBP. But why only two digit addressing? It seems stupid with all resources and experience that Lenz has to offer that Bachmann didn't opt for four digit addressing but then again I suppose if your system doesn't cater for it they why use in your decoder line. Lenz when they first introduced their BEMF decoders also only had two digit addressing as that was all their system supported at the time but they quickly intoduced an upgraded version of the le130 which used Cv's instead of registars and included 4 digit addressing. Still at 9GBP which is around A$20 it might be worth a fling if the facts are accurate. Doug's speil lists it as a 31khz decoder, noiseless, but Hattons and Bachmann don't? i wonder who's right.

Ozzie21

·
DT
4,794 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 26 Aug 2006, 09:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For those of you that don't read the other forum, Bachmann have thrown a tantrum following adverse comments on the specifications of this decoder. In particular the lack of four digit addressing, and restricted number of CV's.
I don't think that Bachmann's withdrawl of support for Internet sites has much to do with this decoder. There were issues relating to couplers and loco details doing the rounds for the past few weeks.

QUOTE (Ozzie21 @ 26 Aug 2006, 15:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...
Doug's speil lists it as a 31khz decoder, noiseless, but Hattons and Bachmann don't? i wonder who's right.
This info came from Bachmann directly. Perhaps it is the last bit of info we'll have from them though I sincerely hope not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts